Thread: Current recommendations for mail-order color labs

Current recommendations for mail-order color labs

There are no labs in this town (Columbia, MO). Furthermore, I'm going to need a fair amount of 120 and 4x5" C-41 processed. I need some recommendations on some good labs that I can FedEx my film to and have them process and ship it back to me. I just need process-only on C-41 (no proof), mainly 120 and 4x5" and occasionally 35mm. I know there are some archived topics to this end, but it seems like a lab closes or whatever about every twenty minutes, so it's hard to tell what's current. Also, nobody suggest Gamma in Chicago - I've seen them screw up more film than I care to remember. But yeah - thoughts, anyone? Thanks!

Colormark in Phoenix, AZ has done a great job for me. www.colormark.com

Calyso Imaging in CA does a bang up job, and their prices are way good if you have a big enough order. www.calypsoinc.com

Chromatics photoimaging in Nashville, Tn. They have been wonderful for me. They are very friendly and prompt in getting stuf out , though I've only had 4x5 E-6 processed by them and have had some drum scans done I haven't had any C-41 done yet, but won't hesitate in sending them any C-41 when I do have some to be processed. www.chromatics.com

I second Brian's post. Chromatics is good to deal with and they run a tight shop. For your 120 stuff they can do "scans at processing" which are cheaper than a paper contact sheet and about 1 MB each frame. I think they can process as big as 11x14 in C41 & E6. They also do good scanning and Lambda printing with excellent color profiles.
    <a href="http://chromatics.com" target= blank">http://chromatics.com

David Vickery

Hello,
    Holland Photo in Austin, TX is one of the best labs that I have ever used. http://www.hollandphoto.com/

I have worked in photolabs before and am sort of particular about them. These guys are good.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

Dale Labs has done C-41 only for me w/ 120 and 35mm as well as anyone. It used to be just $2 to develop a roll of C-41, but I am sure it has gone up. They don't skimp on the chems. I have also used A&I out west and Flatiron Color in NYC.

David,
    I've just taken a few films (8x10 E6 and some panoramic 35 mm C41) to Advance Photo in St. Louis. I can see whether they accept mail order (I don't see why they wouldn't) and let you know. I know what you mean about labs. I had been taking my stuff to Schiller's in St. Louis, but they switched labs from Advance to Arttech (I think that's right) and this new lab doesn't do 8x10 E6 which is why I've started going to Advance.

Advance Photographics does accept film via mail (or Fed Ex or whatever) for processing. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.mindspring.com/~advancephoto/photo.htm

Thanks for the help, everyone. It looks like, at least for now, I'm going to be using Chromatics.