Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Teak, Maple or American Black Cherry wood

Drew Wiley

Re: Teak, Maple or American Black Cherry wood

I could rattle off quite a few products, but I live on the SF Bay where there are plenty of marine stores. Good product ain't cheap. But a lot depends on where you live. Brands and even what can be legally shipped differs states by state. I already mentioned Daly's Teak Oil, but it's uncommon outside the NW. I personally use Cetol 1, but our current desmogified version of it here in CA requires UV cure in sunlight. I still have some of the good ole stuff.

Drew Wiley

Re: Teak, Maple or American Black Cherry wood

I wouldn't even bother sealing cheap "teak" patio furniture. Just let it go bland gray and sand it a bit periodically to tame splinters. But if you want to sustain the beauty of a valuable tropical wood, my favorite option would be a sealer coat of Cetol 1 followed by three coats of Cetol Marine, with a refresher coat about every five years. But the latter product is around $80 per qt, and you obviously don't want much thickness build-up on the surface where a filmholder rests, or the plane of focus will be affected. My Phillips camera is sealed with marine penetrating epoxy, buffed after drying to a satin sheen. Epoxies yellow over time, and can go brittle with prolonged UV torture. But most of us unpack view cameras only when shooting. Good 2-part penetrating epoxies are made by Abatron, West Systems (West Marine, and by Smith Epoxy. These are all nasty and require good ventilation. After curing, maybe a week later, buff the finish with gray or green Scotch Brite.