Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I miss Freestyle...

Old School Wayne

Re: I miss Freestyle...

I miss it too. I buy more stuff when I have a paper catalog. I'm not going to spend hours browsing websites just looking at stuff I might like that I don't know they had, but I will spend hours flipping through catalogs when I'm on the toilet. Not all at once, of course.

You could have left out the part about the toilet - just saying...

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    You could have left out the part about the toilet - just saying...
    Agreed!

What I really miss about Freestyle was the old days way before the catalog, where the inside of the store was basically a junk bin that still had parts of war surplus cameras/lenses strewn around, and all of the sales action happened at the counter, where you could make a request for something odd, and someone would have to climb around the back for a half hour or so trying to find their private secret stash...

(Or drive over to Garden Photo in Hlyd, and buy a 8X10 Marine Corps surplus DD for a hundred or two bucks...) :-)

A LOT of odd stuff they had!!!

Steve K

Dave Karp

Yeah, it was nice to wander around the aisles at Freestyle and check out all of the stuff on the shelves. It was darker and dingier, but there was always the possibility of discovery. They also sold used equipment and rented some too. I got some nice used stuff from there back then.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I actually avoided Freestyle back in those days. Don't know why; I think I was a snob. But I really liked hanging out at Frank's. I miss Frank's...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I actually avoided Freestyle back in those days. Don't know why; I think I was a snob. But I really liked hanging out at Frank's. I miss Frank's...
    Frank's ended up looking like a front for something else later, and still amazing to see faded boxes of 35mm GAF slide film, and other displays right out of a mid-seventies time warp... (But they were sweet!!! Their "hired hands" were another thing...)

Did you notice those pigeons that got into the back of the store, and took up roost for the duration???

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    What I really miss about Freestyle was the old days way before the catalog, where the inside of the store was basically a junk bin that still had parts of war surplus cameras/lenses strewn around, and all of the sales action happened at the counter, where you could make a request for something odd, and someone would have to climb around the back for a half hour or so trying to find their private secret stash...

(Or drive over to Garden Photo in Hlyd, and buy a 8X10 Marine Corps surplus DD for a hundred or two bucks...) :-)

A LOT of odd stuff they had!!!

Steve K
    oh hell yeah.. I was walking in one day and lined up outside along the walkway were like 8 aircraft camera lens sections..the ones with the wide angle metrogon.. like 10 or 20 bucks each.. I bought four

never knew what they were going to end up with

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    oh hell yeah.. I was walking in one day and lined up outside along the walkway were like 8 aircraft camera lens sections..the ones with the wide angle metrogon.. like 10 or 20 bucks each.. I bought four

never knew what they were going to end up with
    So true!!!

There were several stops in Hlyd to make a used gear "crawl" before leaving town...

Plenty of dealer regular "sidewalk sales" back then...

Freakstyle was good for stuff and materials, Alan Gordon on Cole/Cahuenga was great for MP rigging surplus and sometimes a little still stuff (I found my new Calumet S/S tester there for 10 or fifteen bucks), Samy's on Beverly (before the riots & fire) had good surplus used gear outside (I passed over a Saltzman enlarger and camera stand for cheap there), all the other pro & neighborhood camera stores usually had something useful/cool and sometimes a good deal could be had, Garden + Industral photo in the MP district had just about anything surplus, Mel Pierce Camera usually had great LF/ULF lenses for quite reasonable prices, C&H in Pasadena and Industral Liquidators in the South Bay were always getting kool stuff in (but you had to make regular rounds to them), good camera shows, as well as Hlyd garage sales that all kinds of photo/movie/lighting/grip stuff would appear/disappear regularly...

Lucky I didn't have too much $$$ back then, or I would need a pyramid to store it all in!!! :-0

Steve K

Catalog... coming.. aka today e-mail

"Our NEW Winter 2018 catalog is in the mail.
    If you did not receive one or would like to get a copy, visit:
    FreestylePhoto.Biz/Catalog"