Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I miss Freestyle...

I miss Freestyle...

...catalogs!

I mean I really felt like I was in the loop when those eagerly awaited catalogs would show up in the mail. I'd be looking for some product and discover another product I'd want to try quite by kismet.

But that's gone and on line searches are such a drag, so I figure this is the best place to ask---does anyone use Edwal 12? I don't even know if Edwal still makes it but Formulary claims to have the equivalent. How does it compare with D-76?
    And what about Edwal FG-7? Is that still around?

I do have a copy of The Dark Room Cook Book, but I haven't mixed chemicals since I was a Lab Assistant in High School and not having much hair left, I'd prefer not having any "flash backs"

Would Formulary be my best bet if I want to revisit some the film developers of yesteryear?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: I miss Freestyle...

In a word, yes.
    If you want to research film developers, look at Ed Buffaloe's unblinkingeye.com.

John...you nearly gave me a heart attack!

Regardless of what developers you might be able to find for sale, given your background, you might have a balance in some closet -- eager to be dusted off. There are tons of old formulas that you will never find anywhere for sale, and great balances -- like the OHAUS Cent-O-Gram -- can be bought for about $20. Mixing your own is not only incredibly cheap -- it's fun. It helps me save hair and brain cells!

Formulary and Artcraft Chemicals are the two main suppliers of photo chemicals in the US.

Bostic and Sullivan are a good source of chemicals for various specialty processes - pd/pt, cyanotype, bichromate, etc.

There is a lot to be said for paper catalogs. I discovered and bought a lot of products first seen in those catalags.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I miss John Kasaian.

Whew! For just a moment there...

Anyway. I mix a couple of my own developers, fixer and stop bath. Took me awhile to get off the dime and begin doing it (can be a bit lazy at times) but now that I have fresh developers I love it.

If you start simple it shouldn't cause too much stress. D-23 and Beutler are two terrific developers that can easily be mixed.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

John, The Darkroom Cookbook is nice, but IMHO... if one is to mix then it is worth The Film Developing Cookbook, it contains important information. One of the benefits of mixing is that we can control more things, but Anchell tells this information in the Developing Cookbook.

The Edwal FG 7 has lower solvent action than D-76, a common practice was adding sodium sulfite to FG 7 to adjust the solvent action, this is finer grain and slightly less sharpness.

Also the FG 7 is slightly more compensating than D-76, but this can also be adjusted by concentration and agitation.

FG-12 had more solvent action than FG-7 (if no sufhite added) or D-76. I cannot tell about shadow detail, for shadow datail I prefer Xtol, as it has some 1/3 stop advantage in shadows, TMax developer has even more shadow detail than Xtol, but more grain.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    John, The Darkroom Cookbook is nice, but IMHO... if one is to mix then it is worth The Film Developing Cookbook, it contains important information. One of the benefits of mixing is that we can control more things, but Anchell tells this information in the Developing Cookbook.

The Edwal FG 7 has lower solvent action than D-76, a common practice was adding sodium sulfite to FG 7 to adjust the solvent action, this is finer grain and slightly less sharpness.

Also the FG 7 is slightly more compensating than D-76, but this can also be adjusted by concentration and agitation.

FG-12 had more solvent action than FG-7 (if no sufhite added) or D-76. I cannot tell about shadow detail, for shadow datail I prefer Xtol, as it has some 1/3 stop advantage in shadows, TMax developer has even more shadow detail than Xtol, but more grain.
    Thanks, Pere!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White