Thread: 305 kodak portrait lens on 4x5 chamonix

Armentor1

305 kodak portrait lens on 4x5 chamonix

Hey group,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with mounting an 8x10 lens to a 4x5 chamonix. the mounting ring is larger than the opening for the lens board and I'm wondering if there is an adapter for this?

best-
    dave

Re: 305 kodak portrait lens on 4x5 chamonix

Hi Dave,
    If the lens is in a #5 shutter you probably will need to have a machinist make an extender to mount the lens in front of the lensboard. If a #4 shutter the hole in the lensboard can be enlarged to the correct size (2.604") and the only problem might be the size of the hole in the camera. In that case you still need to have an extender made. SK Grimes can do this sort of work but it will not be cheap.
    Good luck!

Not sure which Chamonix you have, but the 305 has the Ilex5 shutter which is big. It was meant for a 5x7 camera. What lensboard style do you have?

Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Armentor1

ok - i'll contact SK for a quote. I have the linhof style on my chamonix; the current lens board lens board for the 305 is a makeshift that I made for an old 8x10. Do you guys know if I'll have enough bellows length on the Chamonix to do close up work with this lens?

Great link mdarnton this is def what i'm trying to do.

At 1:1 you may need 610mm roughly of bellows. If that's too much, use a shorter lens.

What I did was to buy a Sinar Norma auxiliary standard. Remove the bottom part that attaches it to a Sinar rail. Insert a bolt into the hole and mount the auxiliary standard in front of the Chamonix's front standard. Mount the #5 shutter in a Sinar board and mount the board and lens into the auxiliary standard. No all you have to do is make a light tight connection between the back of the auxiliary standard and the front of he Chamonix. I used a Sinar 4x5 WA bellows which attached directly to the back of the auxiliary standard. Rear was attached to the Chamonix front standard with 3 pieces of hot glued black foam core and some black photo tape. I did this with a lens in an Ilex #5 shutter. Does it stress the Sinar Auxiliary standard... yes, probably a bit, but the whole thing worked in the end.

I do have a Linhof Technika board that someone adapted to take a Ilex 5 (with a short extension.) So it is possible. The extension tube threads into the board at about the same width as the light trap ridge on the rear of the board.

Yes, very similar to that Ebony extension board but it bumps out a bit at the end to take the Ilex 5 shutter threads.

The only problem I see is that the 305 portrait barrel also flares out a bit. The 30" Artar that this adapter came with is basically the same width as the rear of the Ilex 5.

Chamonix has an extention board that brings the total bellows draw to about 600mm or so on the 4x5. I have one, but would not really trust putting a heavy lens on it.

As for the size of the standard, I have a shanel 5 that I use on it, I had to use a spacer on the shutter to get it to clear the wood on the front standard. Works fine.

cheaplens by Vance, on Flickr