Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this what we can expect from Giclee prints?

Is this what we can expect from Giclee prints?

Of course you can get high licking them; the pigments are made from Australian Cane Toads mixed with California Hemp.

Of course you can get high licking them; the pigments are made from Australian Cane Toads mixed with California Hemp.

Hmmm....I am curious, why the heck were you licking a toad?...you seem to know a lot about the subject... :-)

I'll bite.

Frankly, I don't trust the claims of inkjet longevity. Every, and I mean EVERY, inkjet print I have ever seen or made has faded noticeably within two or three years, and most have faded in much less time than that. Now, I don't have any information about what inks, papers or printers were used, but the real-world results seem to be pretty consistent. I have a few "traditional" B&W prints from more than 20 years ago that show absolutely no degradation despite being printed by a rank amateur with no concept of "archival processing". I also have many, many color prints from that era that show no fading at all.

Sorry, but you folks that champion the "giclee" process have a lot to prove, and very little real world data to prove it with. Get back to us in two, maybe three, decades and maybe we'll listen.

Alan, Alan, even I did not rise to the bait, this is an obvious troll.

I have read about ink jet prints flaking off, but I think this was a problem with the paper chosen for printing. This is not different that pt/pd, some papers just suck, the difference is that I can see the result right away.

Trying not to take the bait...

Jorge is correct - and what it is is actually bad processing/workflow.

It's not actually that the print/paper is flaking - but that small loose pieces of the coating or other paper fibers - usually some pinprick like some a touch larger get very lightly stuck to the surface of the paper. This is as a result of the process cutting up of sheets and rolls and really only happens witht he rag/watercolour type papers because they are more fiberous.

They are usually firmly attached enough that the pritner will print over them, but brush across the pritn aftwerwards and they will then flake off leavign a white spot.

It doesn't happen with every type of paper - some manufactueres are better than others (and like LF film some brands are cut, boxed and re-named by third party dealers - some of whome are more scrupulous than others in their cutting) - some papers I've never had flakes on (say, Arches Infinity) and some I do.

It doesn't usually come off with simply blowing or Dustoff - but all it takes is a firm brush of the sheet with a draftsmans brush. So it's simple bad processing/workflow.

None of us would think of loading film without dusting our holders, or printing our negs without dusting them - it's the same kind of thing - poor workmanship, not poor materials.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Fred, giclee is a term french vets use for the spurting of cow diarrhoea - I don't think I'd be going licking them....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Tim, Jorge,

Actually, I first heard about this back in college, then again when Dave Barry ran a column about the practice, asking, "who, other than Geraldo Rivera in search of higher ratings, would lick a toad?" Apparently their poison is hallucinogenic, so budget-conscious druggies were experimenting.

As for the reason not to, all I can say is that High School French was never as informative as this list.

RE Toad Licking. Have you ever wondered how many different things these folk licked before they discovered that a particular variety of toad is the one that does the trick?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"Have you ever wondered how many different things these folk licked ..."

A good (and scary) point.

Did you guys know that those hallucinogenic toads are illegal? Or that it's even be possible for something like a toad, which is indigenous to the area, to be illegal? supposedly you can get in trouble if they're found on your property ... which might mean trouble for some folks in the southwest, because the toads were living there first.

As a final question, do the toads lick themselves?

(this thread was made for drifting)

Did you guys know that those hallucinogenic toads are illegal?

Your petty, infantile threats don't scare me...

because my toad can lick your toad with one leg tied behind his back.