Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 months in L.A.?

Re: 2 months in L.A.?

Why not base out of Las Vegas instead? Plenty to photograph there and nearby, far fewer crowds and better air quality.
    A lot of short term rental possibilities available.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

We thought of that, but having the beach as a daily activity does a lot to keep a 7-year-old happy and busy, and it's free.

Would be fun to meet up with you once you have your situation sorted. Unfortunately, I’m no help there.

If you look up the Los Angeles Analog Film Photography Facebook group I’ll accept your join request and you can post to the group when you feel like heading out.

-Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Ari... check out some of the corporate housing opportunities. One of the companies down here is Oakwood. They seem to be all over the place and offer communities of fully furnished apartments. The one I visited was really nice, had a pool and play areas, and was relatively secure. Month-to-month leasing options in addition to long term leasing... if their adverts are accurate.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.v5N3KsJlaMQ

I'll bet that there are others...

According to one of my wisest friends and wife, to keep a 7-year old happy requires not much more than a TV and swimming pool. There are a lot of opportunities, though, for more enriching experiences for children in LA.

I wouldn't mind meeting you, too, when you get down here.

Thanks, Nick and Brian. Would love to meet up as well, should we get to LA.
    Brian, I'll have a look at Oakwood; I've checked out similar websites, so far, not much.
    One that may be interesting for longer-term stays, in case anyone's looking for that, is Rad Pad: http://onradpad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    We thought of that, but having the beach as a daily activity does a lot to keep a 7-year-old happy and busy, and it's free.

Yeah, and playing at the beach is a lot more wholesome for her than playing the slots!

Unless they're My Little Pony slots

I'd try for a rental down at a beach town...any beach, but perhaps Redondo, Hermosa, Manhatten, etc. Santa Monica, perhaps, walking distance from the sand. Off season, so a little cheaper. Have no idea about cost these days. It has only been 40+ years since I spent a winter down there. Acres of sand to play on and a walk/bike/skate trail that runs along the beach for miles. A little more recently (not by much, only 35 yrs ago) I spent a few winters down in Ocean Beach in San Diego. Too expensive in the summertime, but not too bad in the winter (Jan - April). Rent was a little cheaper, too, because the jets from the international airport took off right above our heads (but not from 11pm to 7am). But I was 2.5 blocks from the beach.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks, Vaughn; we definitely have to widen our search to find something affordable. I also want to be able to get a decent sense of LA, so it wouldn't be something that far away.

Hi Ari

Too bad you're not coming through Tucson!

I have a sister in Torrance - she might know of a place. Torrance is pretty close to the beach towns.Long Beach might be a possibility too - is there any place you really have to be or just "LA area"? LA is spread over quite an enormous area as I'm sure you know. How long will you be in Las Vegas? I wouldn't mind flying in to say hello - same for LA come to think of it.