Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2 months in L.A.?

Re: 2 months in L.A.?

Between the fires in Santa Rosa destroying 1000s of homes and the flooding happening now in SoCal, the rental market probably has been affected. Good luck in your search. You might have to decide which "LA" you wish to experience! Lots of varieties. My Dad (b 1922) grew up in Santa Monica, then near downtown LA. After WWII, he went to work for the City of LA and about 1950, bought a house built with veterans and their families in mind in Alhambra. I grew up there and enjoyed it, but was happy to move to northern CA!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Jim, I'd love to meet up as well, but I know that moving around isn't easy for everyone.
    We plan on coming through Phoenix, maybe we can meet up there?
    Vaughn, thanks again. We're still looking and will probably end up within 30 minutes' drive of the beach. Any beach.

Good morning everyone,
    My family and I have to cancel our trip. We have a family member here who needs to undergo some minor, but important, treatment, and we think we should stay for the first month of the treatment, to make sure everything is ok.
    My wife and still have to go to WPPI in Las Vegas at the end of February. We'll be driving, and hopefully we can get in a couple of days in the LA area before heading off to the trade show.
    I want to thank everyone here for their kind and helpful suggestions and offers to meet up; it would have been my great pleasure, but I hope this is just a postponement, and we'll all get to meet up soon.
    A deep and appreciative thanks to all of you!

PS: In anticipation of home-schooling our 7 y.o. girl while in LA, I bought some books about LA that wold have taken us through some interesting parts of the city, offering plenty of fun, educational opportunities.
    The best, and most interesting, of the books I've read so far is Reyner Banham's Los Angeles: The Architecture of Four Ecologies. I would highly recommend it, even though it was written in the late 1960s.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Reyner Banham's book is a CLASSIC. Great reading. I first read it in 1975... and probably should find my copy to read again.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Reyner Banham's book is a CLASSIC. Great reading. I first read it in 1975... and probably should find my copy to read again.
    Great book!!! Just re-read it, but that world it describes is going fast/gone... (Still a trace in the 80's)

But there's still plenty of "dingbat" apartments!!!

Steve K