Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 months in L.A.?

2 months in L.A.?

My wife and I have decided to say "The hell with it!" and look into staying in Los Angeles for 2 months.
    We have a young daughter (7 y.o.) and a dog. We'll be driving to LA from Ottawa, Canada, and would like to stay in LA for all of February and March.
    I'm going to temporarily relocate my office to LA, and hopefully meet all the LA forum members so we can burn some film, or get together for drinks, at least.
    Our problem is LA is bloody expensive, and it's hard to get a 2-month rental, much less commit to anything from 4500 miles away over the internet.
    We think we've tried every possible website, I've written to friends and family for any referral, but no luck yet. Looked into an RV, but those are pricey, too.

So I'm looking at you, Angelenos; do you have any suggestions as to where we can continue looking for a short-term sublet/rental?

Thanks in advance!

Foamer

Re: 2 months in L.A.?

Most of the newcomers I've seen there seem to be living under bridges. It's not for me.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Bridge, hey? Hmm, you're giving me ideas...

Big Negs Rock!

Hi Ari,

Homelessness is no joke. If you'd like to have a drink or coffee, PM me off list. I'm in Pasadena.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Hi Mark,
    I was joking about my own situation.
    If we make it out there, I'd happily get together and will certainly let you know. Thanks!

With those fires, there are going to be a lot of people looking for housing in LA! Good luck.
    if you can do San Diego, the City has converted ex-naval housing into a sort of tourist housing area. I stayed there and they are nice albeit kind of "government housing" looking.
    I don't remember the name but the prices were very reasonable and had good access to all the touristy areas.
    Might be worth a search.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Ari,

I live in Orange County, about an hour south of LA. I love to meet you and your family for a drink or coffee while you are here.Maybe we can go out shooting together.

Hugo

Thanks, John, but SD is not really an option.
    Hugo, I'd love to meet you as well, and I'd be thrilled to go shooting with you.
    I hope we can make it out there.

Hey Ari,

Getting a little cold up there??? ;-)

It's been nice here lately, day temp hi 60's/low to mid 70's and 50's night (F)...

True, LA's getting a more than a bit pricey, as we have a rising population, but little new housing, so there's a ripple effect across the board of cost + availability/access to affordable long or short term housing, so a tough question... Let me think about possible possibles...

You might consider looking around Ventura, as it is a little more reasonable, less traffic, close to the beach, and within reasonable driving distance to LA, but the down side is with the fires in Ojai, there will be folks from the area looking for housing too... (I'm currently in and out of the area on a project, and I like it!!!)

I understand the mentioned difficulties as I had to leave where I lived, so my stuff is in storage, but still looking for a residence/workspace, but in the meantime had to crash where we could, but what an interesting perspective one gains (and photo ops!!!)... But may have to look in Ventura for larger affordable space... Any Angelenos with any ideas???

PM me any questions, but when you get settled, maybe I can show you some sites to shoot or touch base???

HNY

Steve K

Ari I'm in if you make it down here...good luck with the journey!
    Best, Peter