Thread: Strange lines on sides of scans

Strange lines on sides of scans

Anyone know why this would happen? I have vertical lines on both sides of my scan that aren't there in the negative. I had to increase exposure a lot, but still I don't see why that would give me these lines?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 3.18.48 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 3.18.15 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 3.18.09 PM.jpg  

Re: Strange lines on sides of scans

Dan, what scanner are you using?

I’ve seen these lines before on scans from my Epson V750. I think they come from reflections.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...-issue.324749/

It’s worse on some images vs others. I typically have more issues with medium format.

Are you using the supplied large format holder?

No, I'm just using ANR glass and the 8x10 sheet flat, emulsion side down on the glass of my v800. It only happens when I crank the brightness way high (via adjusting the histogram) to compensate for underexposed film. I noticed when I moved the negative, they went away. They are 100% reflections of the white backing. I'll put some black on the sides and that will solve it, most likely!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 7.33.00 PM.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	173830

Make sure the calibration area is complelety clean. That is the area at the begininig of the glass, there are cutouts on the film holder. That could cause your problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    Make sure the calibration area is complelety clean. That is the area at the begininig of the glass, there are cutouts on the film holder. That could cause your problem
    Hi Ted, as I mentioned earlier I am not using film holder, I am using ANR glass directly on the film, emulsion-side down on the scanner. But it would be easy enough to cut out a little mask out of black construction paper or the like to fill up the parts that are clear, the excess outside of the film negative size. (A little mat I can lay all around the film when it’s on the glass. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dhuiting View Post
    Hi Ted, as I mentioned earlier I am not using film holder, I am using ANR glass directly on the film, emulsion-side down on the scanner. But it would be easy enough to cut out a little mask out of black construction paper or the like to fill up the parts that are clear, the excess outside of the film negative size. (A little mat I can lay all around the film when it’s on the glass. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not sure I understand what you mean exactly, However it may help if I explain my understanding of how the calibration works.

Before the actual scan occurs the ccd measures the light in the area contained within the area where those little cut-outs on the film guide area are. The CCD exposure is adjusted such that all three channels give exactly the maximum value. i.e. each pixel will be 100% white, with 100%red, 100%green, %100 blue. You can see this in action if you put a piece of colour film leader over this area. Any substantial dust, or blemish could cause the problem you are having.

Of course you may have a different problem, but hope this helps.

I cannot tell about the lines, but this is a superb shot !!! I like it a lot

With use a V700 and VueScan and have had artifacts on scans where I adjusted heavily to save a less-than-ideal negative during the scan. If I understand what you are saying, that may be the problem. The glass I got from BetterScanning included material and instructions for cutting masks, which could be more necessary when you turn up the juice on the scan. Since I scan only 4X5 now (no longer 5X7) I recently switched to the Epson holders to avoid all that taping, and they have been so much easier to use, and the scans have looked good enough to me. Best bet may be to rescan experimenting with different holders and levels of adjustment. Hope this helps.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Dhuiting View Post
    it would be easy enough to cut out a little mask out of black construction paper or the like to fill up the parts that are clear, the excess outside of the film negative size
    Hi Dan,

Just curious, did the mask work?