Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Re: Fresh 4" x 5" dry plates

This is great news !

One question, do you include a green sensitizer (erythrosin like) to make it ortho, or is it color blind ?

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post

Last winter my plate camera and plates would sit in my truck all day at work while the temperatures would drop to -5F (worst case that I saw, this was an intentional test), and they were just fine. This summer they'd do the same up to 100F+ measured in the cabin and were fine. But your temps are uncharted territory which I am eager to test for. Would you like to be a guinea pig? I would like to send you a couple of sample plates exactly how I would send normally. You can then use them as you would a normal order, and then develop them or send them back to me and I will develop them and we will see how they look.

My theory is that they will be fine like regular film would be under those temperatures (Mees writes in his book that the photon conversion process is independent of temperature). Historically, I know that plate cameras and plates were used in all types of weather. For example, they are known to be taken on at least some of the late 19th and early 20th C. polar expeditions. The photographs from Captain Scott's south pole expedition is one example.

Good enough for me! I forgot about use on polar expeditions until I watched the NG show on TV last night. I ordered a box on ebay. I have about a dozen pre-Civil War lenses and a few from 1865-1880 that I've always wanted to do wet plate with. I might still try wet plate this summer during a Civil War reenactment, but in the meantime I just want to jump in and start with dry plates. I would be sad if that turned out to be something I never got around to doing! (You never know....) All of my heroes shot dry plate--F.J. Haynes in Fargo, W.H. Jackson in Omaha, Solomon Butcher down in Nebraska, A.J. Russell in Omaha--on and on. If 4x5 works out, I will be interested in 5x7 plates as well. I have a dandy 1925 Gundlach Korona and several pre-Civil War lenses that work great on it!

Also need a link telling what equipment/supplies I need to process, and how to do it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I'm in Finland (Close enough to the arctic i suppose ), i'll try to shoot atleast 2 plates in the winter weather here. (once the actual winter starts....it seems to be lame)

Very good idea and I will be wanting to try this in the future, good luck with this, I am following this thread to see some printed results.

Bob

Fresh 4" x 5" dry plates

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    This is great news !

One question, do you include a green sensitizer (erythrosin like) to make it ortho, or is it color blind ?
    The current batch of emulsion (Batch #004) that I'm making plates from is color blind. I call them "normal" sensitivity, borrowing from the nomenclature of the late 1800s. I really like the look..I think that's part of the fun.

However, like any good engineer, I have a "development plan", and that includes orthochromatic sensitization sometime in the future. It also includes increasing the inherent sensitivity, and I'm currently mapping out the best approach to tackling those two related goals within my limited amount of time. I'm methodical in my development approach, which takes longer but will result in a better end product.

Funny enough, first on my list is sourcing boxes! Lol. Offering plates for sale so others can enjoy them sort of spontaneously materialized a couple weeks ago, and there were more people interested than I expected. So I'm running short of the used sheet film boxes I had. But I'm lining up a source and will need to pay for those pretty soon so I'm ok on that front.

I have been identifying sources of erythrosin (and other sensitizers) and doing my research. Assuming I continue to sell plates, that will help to cover costs for that type of development.

Anyways, lots of fun. I encourage you to try them out! If you need a different size, let me know.

-Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Thanks everyone for all the interest. I am very excited about this interest and am honestly happy to be sharing with others.

Looking forward to the reviews, and as I've mentioned before, please ask lots of questions as you use them. I want you to be successful!

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Very good idea and I will be wanting to try this in the future, good luck with this, I am following this thread to see some printed results.

Bob
    Yes, I'm looking forward to results as well. I can only print up to 16x20, and there are definitely better photographers out there than I am. At only 4x enlargment, the prints are still tack-sharp. I'd love to see the results from better photographers who can make larger prints.

-----

Kent, here are the instructions that I print on the box:

OPEN ONLY UNDER SAFELIGHT!
    Plates are packed emulsion-side up.
    Emulsion side is slightly hazy when viewing reflection of safelight.
    Uncoated glass side will not be hazy.
    Load emulsion-side up into plate holder.
    Expose at ISO 2
    Tray Develop under safelight 5 minutes in HC-110 Dil B or equivalent.
    - 30 second agitation at start
    - 15 second agitation every 1 min after.
    Indicator stop bath or water Stop 30 seconds.
    Fix in Rapid Hardening Fixer, constant gentle agitation
    - Fix double clear time,
    - Fix longer if needed to remove yellow stain.
    30 second water bath rinse
    Hypo wash 4 minutes if desired
    Gentle agitation rinse in room temperature water
    - 20 minutes if hypo washed
    - 40 minutes if not hypo washed.
    The non-emulsion “glass side” will have excess emulsion remaining from the hand-coating process. After developing, this excess emulsion can be removed with cloth dampened with dilute bleach, or Clorox disinfecting wipes or equivalent.
    CAUTION: Edges of glass are sharp!

Wow, just saw this! I am very happy to see this...I have a couple of projects in mind that I want to use wet plates but due to issues with getting a friend of mine to actually help me it hasn't materialized...dry plates were my backup plan but I hadn't gotten around to buying all the materials and such to coat them.

I see there is one box left...I'll buy a couple of boxes once you restock to save on shipping.

I also am interested in whole plate size as I already have a holder for my 8x10 at that size. Very interested to know what the price will be for those. Also, I am wondering if the emulsion might eventually be something you could offer as a stand-alone product, if that is something that would be doable for home-coating plates. I know there are some liquid emulsions out there already but if you have a competitive price, obviously that'd be a great alternative!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have been identifying sources of erythrosin (and other sensitizers) and doing my research.
    -Jason
    Ortho sentitization with erythrosin is amazingly straight: http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...tent=18Jan2012

You can get it at ebay for few bucks, and it is a safe substance as it's food grade. (other sensitizers are not as safe)

One important thing Mowrey told is that it should be added to the emulsion while doing the addition, if it is done later if has half the final effect. So if you are doing nice plates yet then just by adding some drops of E at the beginning of the addition you can offer also Ortho flavor, nice for male portraiture. When you wash the emulsion the sensitization it is not lost, because the sensitizer Molecules that are effective are tied to the silver halide and are not washed out.

OPEN ONLY UNDER SAFELIGHT!
    Do you have any directions for which safelights are fine for your emulsion?

Fresh 4" x 5" dry plates

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    Do you have any directions for which safelights are fine for your emulsion?
    Whatever you normally use in your darkroom for developing prints is fine. My darkroom has the classic 15W Kodak safelight with 0C filter.

-Jason