Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Foamer

Re: Fresh 4" x 5" dry plates

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

"Celebrate, rejoice, rise up and praise these days,"

Then I look at the German and it all seems obvious! I guess these words are from Latin, I should have noticed that. I couldn't figure out English until I studied Latin for 2 years.

A favorite song of mine, mit organ.

It's the opening line from Bach's "Christmas Oratorio." It's my favorite Christmas piece. The libretto to the opening part of the first cantata:

Cantata for the First Day of Christmas
    (Weihnachts-Oratorium I)

1. Chor
    Jauchzet, frohlocket, auf, preiset die Tage,
    Rühmet, was heute der Höchste getan!
    Lasset das Zagen, verbannet die Klage,
    Stimmet voll Jauchzen und Fröhlichkeit an!
    Dienet dem Höchsten mit herrlichen Chören,
    Laßt uns den Namen des Herrschers verehren!

1. Chorus
    Celebrate, rejoice, rise up and praise these days,
    glorify what the Highest has done today!
    Abandon despair, banish laments,
    sound forth full of delight and happiness!
    Serve the Highest with glorious choruses,
    let us honor the name of the Supreme Ruler!

My favorite performance:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98UjjwzJBFE

It's a remarkable piece. It caps what has been a remarkable year for me, considering I very narrowly escaped death last February. Auf, preiset die Tage!
    So anyway, I don't want to put off doing things I've always wanted to do, such as shooting plate photography.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Listening now.

Classical music and LF are like old Cadillacs and Stout beer. All very enjoyable.

Glad you survived. I had a rough summer. And strive

I ordered a couple of boxes. Looking forward to playing with them. 5 X 7 would be nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    I'm more than happy to entertain requests for other sizes...
    Whole Plate, if you can do it without breaking the bank.

I still have the Eastman plate holders with film sheaths that got me started in WP long ago. It would be delicious, after all these years, to take the film sheaths out and use those holders as originally intended.

Foamer

Another question. Looks like you deliver by mail. That means anything you send me will sit in my mailbox until I get home. It's forecasted to not get above zero (F) for many days where I live. Will the subzero temps harm the plates? Thinking about it more, your package will likely sit in an unheated truck for several days as it makes its way west.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Fresh 4" x 5" dry plates

Jim, thank you! Saw your order and I'll get them out asap. I do have 5x7 plates. I have a 5x7 plate camera, and the results are great. The only thing keeping me from offering 5x7 is lack of boxes, to be honest. The 5x7 plates that I've made so far are either in plate holders or the one old Kodak plate box that I do have. Funnily enough, during my last coating run I had a stack of 5x7 glass sitting there taunting me. I made four plates just for the principal of it, but only had room to store 2 of them. So I had to keep the two best and the other two were sacrificed to daylight. I brought them out to show my wife what basic emulsion looks like when unexposed (it's a pale yellow color). She wasn't as excited as we often hope our wives are about our hobbies, of course.. Anyways, I am working on sourcing boxes, and have some incoming for 5x7's. I'm doing the same for more 4x5 boxes but those are 2-3 weeks out.

Oren, I think that'd be awesome. I just finished making contact prints from whole plates that are in Brookline Historical Society's collection (my town). They were taken by an amateur photographer who picked up the hobby when she was in her 20s (~early 1890s), and she continued to take pictures for the rest of her life around the local area. She used a whole plate camera (I don't know what type it was). The set I made contact prints from dated to about 1900-1920. The prints came out great, and it was just awesome to think the process spanned a century. I posted some examples in the media section of photrio.org (old APUG). The prints are for our town's upcoming 250th anniversary..they will be scanned in and used in our update to Brookline's history chronicle (last updated in 1919). Anyways, I'll run the numbers for whole plate and PM you.

Kent:

Last winter my plate camera and plates would sit in my truck all day at work while the temperatures would drop to -5F (worst case that I saw, this was an intentional test), and they were just fine. This summer they'd do the same up to 100F+ measured in the cabin and were fine. But your temps are uncharted territory which I am eager to test for. Would you like to be a guinea pig? I would like to send you a couple of sample plates exactly how I would send normally. You can then use them as you would a normal order, and then develop them or send them back to me and I will develop them and we will see how they look.

My theory is that they will be fine like regular film would be under those temperatures (Mees writes in his book that the photon conversion process is independent of temperature). Historically, I know that plate cameras and plates were used in all types of weather. For example, they are known to be taken on at least some of the late 19th and early 20th C. polar expeditions. The photographs from Captain Scott's south pole expedition is one example. Ponting used plates. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Ponting So there's historical precedent that indicates plates in general will be fine at temperatures even below what you see, and it's just a question of verifying that fact. I am an optical engineer by profession, and as an engineer I naturally insist on verifying designs and theories with field testing. This would be a field test, with the hypothesis that they will turn out ok (as long as you do your part to expose properly!). The only thing I would advise is to let the package of plates come to room before opening the box in the darkroom to avoid condensation on the emulsion....just like you would for bringing film out of freezer storage.

How's that sound? I'd just need an address to send them to.
    Last edited by Nodda Duma; 29-Dec-2017 at 06:25.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

May as well ask/dream for 1/4 plate as I have those holders and camera.

What I don't have is 10X10" holders or camera but do have a 10X10" Stainless Steel hangerless (meaning built in slots) gas burst tank. Medical or Scientific usage?

I could shoot 10X10" with my Levy copy camera, but let's not go there yet!

I assume you have a 'real' job.

Am also interested in Whole Plate size
    Greg

Fresh 4" x 5" dry plates

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    May as well ask/dream for 1/4 plate as I have those holders and camera.
    I can make any size plates up to 12"x12", it's just a matter of calculating pricing based on material costs. I will calculate cost and let you know.

I assume you have a 'real' job.
    I do. I'm a lens designer, actually, with an engineering background. I have designed optics that are fielded or being fielded from the deep ocean to outer space and everywhere between. See my post on a lens design in the DIY sub-forum.

Currently I'm filling a role as director of engineering at a small company working in cutting edge technology.

So my engineering background and practical experience in making things for the real world has come in handy in figuring out the best way to make these plates. It provides a technical rigor and consistency for quality which has helped me as I perfected the techniques required.

Cheers,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Am also interested in Whole Plate size
    Greg
    Got your PM. I replied. Thank you for the interest!

Jason