Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Re: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Give me a couple days. Working through a backlog right now.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Give me a couple days. Working through a backlog right now.
    Thanks Jason. Patiently waiting.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

I have wondering about packaging (My plates are still in limbo in Denmark) and how to store the exposed NOS plates I have here in Spain!

I assume that Ilford must have lots of experience of how to pack plates - well at least by 1956 which the date of the lantern slides I am making here. Perhaps Ilford's way of doing it was standard industry practice?

Ilford sold only even numbers and the plates were paired and wrapped in back paper. Emulsion sides were placed inwards and had two edge white carboard folded edges to project the glass to some extent. The emulsion sides don't stick together - even after 65 years. I think this is probably a good way of storing these plates when they have dried too. The only disadvantage I have found is that during loading in a tent/bag the corner pieces always seem to finish up lying on the open book holder.

Otherwise, I find loading plates a good deal easier than "bendy" sheet film and the emulsion side is known as these are always the "inside" side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

I thought I posted this, but cannot find it. Here are the 1895 Kodak 5X7 Glass plates top layer packing method. In a 10 pack, there was the high-quality black paper on top of each emulsion. The top 2 were face to face with the pictured plasticized paper clips, no paper. So the first one on top was facing down, the only one thus so.

I mention the Kodak interleaving paper as high quality as there was no dust inside the sealed packet. The 1897 1/4 plate Stanley Dry Plates did not have the clip and it felt very dusty in there and later after processing, I did see a lot of dust in develeoped emusion and worse. Meaning small and large pinholes.

Kodak 5X7 Plate clips by moe.randy, on Flickr

In LFPF files are my 2013 Dry Plate experiments with an opened packet. Here is the thread.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1026142

Those look familiar..same scheme as in my box of Kodak plates.

I'm not a fan for my plates, as the imperfections from hand-coating can scratch the other plate's emulsion. I put them all facing forward with paper between each. It makes more sense to do it that way based on my experience from the optics world.

Many thanks to Jason for making these fine plates available to us.

Enjoy!
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Very well done demonstration and video!

That's the way you do it.

Nice plates Jason.

Re: Newly Made Dry Plates and NOS as well - all sizes

Jason, I got your replacement 1/4 Dry Plates today. The new size fits perfectly in both my all metal Ikon Trona 212 1/4 Plate USA Spec German Camera SSD holder and my Wood DDS USA 1/4 Plate holder. I use 1/4 Plate to denote 3-1/4 X 4-1/4 inch as is common practice.

The fit in both is exactly the same. Both use sliding steel hooks to hold down the plate with spring steel pressure.

Great job!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    This is kind of the wrong thread for a discussion of correcting plate fit, but here are a couple of thoughts.

1) As an engineer, I'm familiar with the use of jigs (the correct term is a functional gage but I tend to call them jigs). A jig would be appropriate if I controlled the design and production of all quarter plate holders, but I don't. Imagine if I were to have fabricated a jig based on the Linhof quarter plate holder and Seneca plate holders that I had used to cut the quarter plates I sent you. The plates would still not fit your holder.

2) Custom-cutting plates for each customer's holder is an unrealistic solution which would essentially double the costs of the plates and cause a logistical nightmare. I can't ask people to risk having their holders damaged or lost in the mail, nor is there a need for me to personally measure them when rulers, verniers, etc., are standardized and in wide-spread use.

The practical solution is to undersize the plates like I'm doing for 4x5, and the only question is by how much. In my judgement, I should dimension the plates the same as the Kodak film sheath or the Stanley dry plates, which the manufacturers of holders of the time would have ensured they could accept. That's the closest to a "jig" that I can reasonably get to.

I just need their measurements.

I also did a test-cut this morning of several 1/4" plates that I have on-hand, and determined I can trim off as little as 0.050" to salvage already coated plates.

Randy, it would be great if you could send me a mix of holders to measure. When you do, send your quarter plates back with and I'll fix them / replace them (depending on how much I would need to trim them).

-Jason

P.S. Randy, I swear you've had the worst luck with plates fitting. I'm sorry for that. I'm starting to think that if my plates fit the holders in your collection then they'll fit every holder in the world.

Anyone process these in Pyrocat HD? Just got my 5x7 plates and the only developer I have on hand is Pyrocat. Seems like the hardening effect might be good.

Roger

The plates are inherently high contrast, so you want to use a dilution like 1:1:100... but I think the development times are going to be really long .. so long I worry about what it does to the emulsion.

Do you have print developer? Dektol will work. I developed a plate in PolymaxT earlier this week just because it was in the developing tray. The plate came out fine and the PolymaxT actually helped control the contrast. So I would try a print developer and just develop by inspection under safelight.

-Jason