Thread: Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fresh dry plates in a variety of sizes

For those of you who'd like to try dry plate photography but the process of making and coating your own emulsion is just too intimidating, I would like to announce that I have begun offering for sale newly-made 4"x5" dry plates, packed 10 plates to a box, that I prepare during my coating runs as extras above and beyond what I expect to use myself.

The plates are of the correct thickness (~0.050"), and the emulsion is of "normal" spectral response, with a typical sensitivity that I've tested to be about ISO 2 (you can shoot it at faster speeds, but I haven't explored that aspect much). As such, you can tray develop it under a safelight. The emulsion is virtually grainless, and has a very nice balance of tonality and contrast. Different developers give different results.. I've settled on the higher contrast of HC-110 Dil B but it still maintains a nice tonality. Developing by inspection also opens up a whole new variable to explore which is not often available when developing negatives. I think you'll enjoy experimenting with the plates.

I've spent several years perfecting the coating technique, and the plates have come out nice enough and consistent enough in quality that I can dare offer to share them with others, but keep in mind that these are hand-made, which provides a certain ... character ... to the final product. In most cases, however, it is a pleasing effect, and I have made some very nice enlargements which have been put on display in local galleries, public buildings, etc. Many of the prints that are seen in my etsy shop (see below) are worth looking at as examples of dry plate photographs I have taken.

I am selling these to keep my wife happy about being able to cover my photography hobby expenses, restock my darkroom's beer fridge, and share the fun of a limited-access alternative process to the wider large format photography community.

Since I prepare the plates in my spare time, availability is relatively limited for now. I have set up a shop in Etsy so that I can post available quantities. I encourage you to purchase boxes of plates through there: https://www.etsy.com/listing/5812747...ates-10-plates
    There's a way to get notification when I update the quantities, but I must admit I'm not savvy enough to know how to do that. If the quantity there is greater than zero, then I have plates available. Plate holders are available online at various sites.

Sold in boxes of 10 for $35 + plus shipping (cheaper than Kodak!). I can ship internationally, just ask me.

I'm more than happy to entertain requests for other sizes... I make 4"x5" plates because that's what I use (as well as 5x7's). I cut the glass from 12"x12" sheets, so I can make plates that are anything up to that size (the cost will be different, of course).

Once you get the boxes in-hand, please contact me and ask questions if you have any as you are using them. I want you to enjoy them and be successful! Of course, as you test the plates and use them, I am hopeful that you will share your results and testing.

Thank you for the interest
    -Jason
    Last edited by Nodda Duma; 28-Dec-2017 at 06:07.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com