Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Where to start for an 8x10 enlarger?

Re: Where to start for an 8x10 enlarger?

You can find large black trays at builder's supply stores, used for mixing mortar and stuff like that, in multiple sizes.

Unicolor made some pretty large daylight print tubes, I think up to 20x24 or at least 16x20. As much as watching a print be born in tray is fun, the smaller space and chemical requirements of a Unicolor may be a viable alternative for you.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Unless you are a masochist, don't use trays larger than 20x24 -- use tubes or troughs. You'll save space, chemicals, money, fumes, spills, etc. -- and your sanity.
    I agree with space, but I use over size trays with absolutely no issue, I also use troughs but I prefer the trays if I can make it work. I may be certifiable, need to have my head examined.

Drew Wiley

Big trays require big sinks. I prefer to make my own oversize trays. Plastics shops in big cities generally sell scratched or otherwise visually blemished sheets of Plexiglas, Sintra, ABS etc at a discount. Some stores like Tap Plastics might also offer simple courses in do-it-yourself fabrication. I do have a few store-bought big trays too; but the good ones are expensive. Mortar trays are thin and flimsy, but might be OK for med sized prints.

All my big trays were made with thick grey plexi and welded together ... many companys that sell plexi will work to a plan and make them for you, mine have handles for lifting (agitation) which is a huge bonus.

Playing around with the basically free 8X10 modification to my Durst 138! This enlarger came with a colour head, and when I last used it the fuses popped and the colour head had this interesting smell of to hot insulation!! Thus it was put away waiting for a LED light-head modification. Tried that on my Focomat IIc MF enlarger with great success this autumn, and with some spare time over x-mas :-)

Quickly removed the colour head and keeping the lightmixing boxes, the top light opening is approx 24 x 20 cm, nor quite 8x10" but close. Distance to lens approx 240mm'ish Thus raising the negative a wee bit might do the trick.. And it does!! with a 240mm lens I'm able to get enlargements up to 100x80cm or 40x32", at that stage the lens is in the maximum up position, thus a recessed lensboard would be required. Not sure I can get a 240/9 lens into a Durst recessed board, we see if a cheap one pops up either here or on ebay.

So if you could get your hand on a Durst 138, you at least have a stable chassis to start with !

Quote Originally Posted by Morten View Post
    Playing around with the basically free 8X10 modification to my Durst 138! This enlarger came with a colour head, and when I last used it the fuses popped and the colour head had this interesting smell of to hot insulation!! Thus it was put away waiting for a LED light-head modification. Tried that on my Focomat IIc MF enlarger with great success this autumn, and with some spare time over x-mas :-)

Quickly removed the colour head and keeping the lightmixing boxes, the top light opening is approx 24 x 20 cm, nor quite 8x10" but close. Distance to lens approx 240mm'ish Thus raising the negative a wee bit might do the trick.. And it does!! with a 240mm lens I'm able to get enlargements up to 100x80cm or 40x32", at that stage the lens is in the maximum up position, thus a recessed lensboard would be required. Not sure I can get a 240/9 lens into a Durst recessed board, we see if a cheap one pops up either here or on ebay.

So if you could get your hand on a Durst 138, you at least have a stable chassis to start with !
    Interesting! Keep us informed about your progress. Photos of any modifications would be appreciated.

I would love to see some photos as well!

Drew Wiley

I modified a 138 chassis to accept a high-output 8X10 enlarger, but only use it for up to 20X24 b&w prints. For color work or anything bigger, I use actual taller 8X10 units. I have a 240 lens, but prefer to use longer than "normal" enlarging lenses.

Drew Wiley

I meant 8X10 coldlight, actually 12x12.

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    I would love to see some photos as well!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6886-Edit.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	173160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0951.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	173161

Did the images get there?

First image is the current set up, second image is the complete colour head where I removed the top part.. will post image of the light opening..