Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to store 4x5" while shooting in Snow

Re: How to store 4x5" while shooting in Snow

Static is an issue when operating a holder in very cold (bone dry) conditions... Remove slides very slowly...

A big issue is when there is a moisture content in the emulsion that becomes uneven during excessive drying/or re-hydrating that can create uneven tensions on the film that can buckle the film into OOF points on the focal plane... (I can imagine if a film had excessive moisture indoors, it can freeze the film into more than a flat sheet...) Allowing the films a gradual in or out cycle into the environment will help, and leaving it in a stable (shooting environment state should help...

4X5 holders are only a few bucks each used, and many are out there... Having at least 4-12 will save you from getting in the bag when you should be shooting, and more ideal to load in your normal locale, than out in the hinterlands (with your fingers numb from cold)... ;-)

Stay Warm!!!

Steve K

4 to 12 holders? Gee I bet I have at least 150 4x5, 50 5x7, 29 8x10 and 11 11x14 holders!

Big Negs Rock!

Share!!
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

haha. there's a thread on 8x10 Large Format Photographers group's FB page talking about this exact topic of numbers of holders I think, based on replies so far, your stash would win lolol
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

A couple of 6 sheet grafmatics might be a good idea, but I don't know how they work in really cold weather. Neither cold weather nor humidity are big issues in Tucson (although there were a few 14 degree nights a couple of years back.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    A couple of 6 sheet grafmatics might be a good idea, but I don't know how they work in really cold weather. Neither cold weather nor humidity are big issues in Tucson (although there were a few 14 degree nights a couple of years back.)
    Last time I was camping in the Superstition Wilderness, we got 1/2 FOOT of snow during the night. Luckily I was there, and got rare shots of snow on the Saguaros and cliffs! Needless to say, it was cold -- with 100% humidity.
    Last edited by xkaes; 27-Dec-2017 at 11:05.

Well there IS a ski run about 50 minutes (and 7000 vertical feet) from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Well there IS a ski run about 50 minutes (and 7000 vertical feet) from my house.
    There certainly used to be -- Mt Lemmon. I thought the whole area around Summerhaven burned down in a forest fire a few years ago -- a la the Thomas fire in California (still burning). The ski areas in Colorado are already getting nervous due to global warming, but how can you make snow when there is no water or freezing temperatures? The Forest Service estimates that half of the Lodgepole pine trees in the Colorado Rockies are already dead due in part to pine beetle which are normally killed off in the frigid winter months. And a trip to the Arizona-Sonora Desert museum shows photos of how the existing forest of saguaro cactuses are only about 25% of what they were 75 years ago. I'm glad I took pictures when I could.

AFAIK Mt. Lemmon is still there, probably waiting for snow like us here in the Sierra.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White