Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Aerials: 125-150mm sharp@ f/8 for 4x5 minimal vignetting

Re: Aerials: 125-150mm sharp@ f/8 for 4x5 minimal vignetting

During WW II most PI’s were women. 1000’s of them acting as human computers per Jac. Amazing story. Some say the PI’s were the deciding intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The one that really impressed me was what the PIs could do with what they couldn’t see! We ran 5” IR B&W over Cuba and while the vehicles were long gone when we shot the area the PIs could tell from the residual heat signitures what kind of truck had been parked there, how big it was, about how heavy it was and what it probably was carrying! All that of pictures of empty parking areas in the early 60s!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The one that really impressed me was what the PIs could do with what they couldn’t see! We ran 5” IR B&W over Cuba and while the vehicles were long gone when we shot the area the PIs could tell from the residual heat signitures what kind of truck had been parked there, how big it was, about how heavy it was and what it probably was carrying! All that of pictures of empty parking areas in the early 60s!
    And many thanks to the aviators who flew those missions.

Love these first-hand accounts and much-appreciated info (both technical and historical). My aerial work is so basic compared to these amazing stories.

Back to my search for a lens to bring a 4x5 along for some pot shots, I’m thinking along the lines of a Schneider APO-Symmar 120mm f/5.6 L-75 or a Rodenstock APO Sironar-S 135mm f/5.6, the former as suggested in this thread and by another forum member who has corresponded with me privately. If you have one that you are willing to sell, see my wanted ad. I will mount it on a Horseman (likely FA but open to others or even a Wista RF) with a lens board with a slight extension (eg the Horseman 25652 lens panel-for Copal 0), an optical viewfinder (I just prefer this over wire), and a right-hand Linhof-style grip (or doubled-hndled home brew arrangement). I am searching to buy all this gear and have “wanted” ads posted.

From forum member Konakoa’s 2016 reply to “Medium-wide lens for Horseman FA?” on this forum:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C046D085-1FC7-4913-805C-483B985125D4.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	173467
    Fig. 1 Konakoa’s Horseman FA with APO-Symmar 120mm L-75 and extension panel.
    I like that bellows length is manageable.

With the APO-Symmar 120mm f/5.6 L-75 at infinity focus f/8, no camera movements, could I use an even longer extension lens panel? If yes, what lensboard would that be exactly for a Horseman FA camera? If I went to 150mm lens even if another brand could I use the longer “extension” lensboard?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80F3D727-F7A3-46DC-BF88-8A60C3A0451A.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	173472
    Fig. 2 The longer extension.
    I believe this is Horseman 25653 (?)
    Is that for Copal 1?

Why would I use the extension board? For a cone-like alternative to bellows (for aerials experiments) and owning a camera that can serve multiple purposes for me, both for aerials and (with a regular lens board) hiking in the Chisos.

Again, thanks to all who served, and all who contributed to this epic thread that I will re-read and savor many times.
    Last edited by pchaplo; 8-Jan-2018 at 00:05. Reason: Edited for brevity
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics