Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Aerials: 125-150mm sharp@ f/8 for 4x5 minimal vignetting

Re: Aerials: 125-150mm sharp@ f/8 for 4x5 minimal vignetting

In closing, thanks to all who shared useful information on commonly available lenses for 4x5 per my well-defined needs in the opening post.

As a side note, the interesting thing about my father, a highly decorated USAF combat and test pilot, is that he never bragged. Never mentioned that he had a single commendation. But then, that was the Greatest Generation.

PaulOUT
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    Vibration tends to be a factor as well.
    Yes - in small aircraft vibration and buffeting is by far the major factor. From a Cessna I've found it easy to pan to compensate for the general motion of the plane but only a high shutter speed, and/or a camera gyroscope will compensate for aircraft vibration and buffeting. (With smaller formats, image stabilization in-lens or in-body may be helpful in some circumstances.)
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    I may start with a slightly longer lens ie Nikkor 200mm M f/8. I believe that wide open, the image circle is 166mm. If anyone has real life experience with that lens in terms of coverage - and corner sharpness (a long shot, I know) - at f/8 let me know.
    This is the lp/mm performance measured by Mr Perez of a M 200mm sample

f/11 68 76 38 (Center Mid Edge)
    f/16 68 68 34
    f/22 60 54 48

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

Still not a lab test but a practical one, and we have to remember that from one unit to another one there is a variability.

I have Kenyon gyro if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Photomagica View Post
    Yes - in small aircraft vibration and buffeting is by far the major factor. From a Cessna I've found it easy to pan to compensate for the general motion of the plane but only a high shutter speed, and/or a camera gyroscope will compensate for aircraft vibration and buffeting. (With smaller formats, image stabilization in-lens or in-body may be helpful in some circumstances.)
    Bill
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Great site. I’m really enjoying his writings, images, and lens tests/comparisons. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    This is the lp/mm performance measured by Mr Perez of a M 200mm sample

f/11 68 76 38 (Center Mid Edge)
    f/16 68 68 34
    f/22 60 54 48

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

Still not a lab test but a practical one, and we have to remember that from one unit to another one there is a variability.
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post

EDIT: My Nikkor lens literature has wide-open specs too. But in the Nikkor SW line, the 90mm f/8 won't do and probably not the 90/4.5 either - you really need to go to the 120 to get adequate coverage at f/8 on 4x5, and that's a fairly large and heavy lens. In the Nikkor W line, the 135 has tight coverage relative to 4x5 at f/5.6 (156mm), while the 150 covers 174mm.
    Im re-reading all your most helpful notes. Very helpful info and greatly appreciated. The f/5.6 Nikon W’s were tested at f/8 by Danny another forum member here and he found that the specifically the 180mm (and Schneider’s APO-Symmar 180mm) were sharp for 4x5 at that ”one stop down” aperture.

The trouble is that the Copal 1 shutter limits my fastest shutter speed to 1/400 and in real life 1/3-1/2 stop slower than that.
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Y'know, if you got a Speed Graphic you could have higher shutter speeds.

William Garnett...who took some really incredible aerials back in the day - often did so while piloting alone with his Graflex held over his shoulder. He'd worked out a routine which took advantage of his intimate feel for lighting, timing, placement, and...when he wasn't simply cutting the engine (which if I remember correctly he did not like doing)...those RPM ranges which presented the least amount of vibration. Amazing work!

...cannot mention William Garnett without paying homage to Bradford Washburn!

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Great site. I’m really enjoying his writings, images, and lens tests/comparisons. Thanks.
    Just let me add that, being always insteresting, lens performance can be secondary to obtain good results. How photographer manages DOF, aperture, focusing, alignment, shake, film usage, and post-processing may be more important than ultimate lens lp/mm in the field. For example a film may deliver no more than 50lp/mm in regular low contrast situation, and only with a very contrasty pattern it can resolve more, so other limiting factors may make high lens performance secondary.

Also the sharp look of a photograph may be more related to other factors than to resolving power.

I'm a big fan of measuring lp/mm, but I realize that it would be a secondary concept for a true artist. "Dovima with elephants" was made with a good lens, for sure, but this was a 1955 technology lens.

For aerial photography you have to consider if your motion blur/shake is to limit resolving power in practice, making useless optical performance beyond certain level. And optical performance also depends on aperture, and from aperture and film you have a shutter speed that is related to blur/shake. But smaller aperture also is related to "on film" DOF, that will ensure focus if not perfect alignment and flatness.

So, beyond lens performance you also have to make a good balance of the settings, and this may be more important than ultimate lp/mm measured in a lab.