Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CatLABS quick review of Intrepid 8x10 camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CatLABS quick review of Intrepid 8x10 camera

Gotta admit I'm a bit nervous about what issues mine may have when I get it. Hope the details have been worked out properly before the bulk of shipments are sent out. Some issues sound like simple design oversight, others, maybe manufacturing tolerance issues. Fingers crossed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xeE...ature=youtu.be
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Re: CatLABS quick review of Intrepid 8x10 camera

Looks a bit dire... maybe just an initial lemon from early run? Seems odd such obvious faults would not be caught during assembly and QC.

I owe Dick Phillips an email reply, and will include that YouTube link when sending it. I'll not do so for a couple of weeks, however, in order to avoid ruining his holidays.

I foresee people hacking their cameras with mods to improve usability. Replacing the bungee seems inevitable and perhaps adding a knot to keep the back from sliding back and forth would help. But these are issues they should have encountered/dealt with while in beta phase.

Will try and remember to post my impression when I get mine.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Wow, I was so hoping this was a prototype or early production model, but I checked the date on the YouTube posting and it's 12/23/2017! Crap. Having shot LF for nearly 40 years and having a perfectly functioning, though heavy, 8x10 already I'm seriously considering canceling my Kickstarter order. I was looking for something lightweight and, though for the price I wasn't expecting Ebony quality, I sure thought it would be better than what's shown in this video.

Most of the things I see don't bother me, but I'm basically a hacker and have ideas how to tune up the things that would bother me. Some of the complaints are things I deal with all the time with my older wood cameras, which though they appear hefty are underdesigned in some respects. I did forsee the front instability problem, since none of the wood cameras (Ansco, Korona, Crown) I have are any better than that, even though they look sturdier. I think to be stable a wooden camera really needs a triangular stance for the front standards, which would have taken this camera into a different price zone.

The magnet idea for mounting the back screws is interesting. I had already been wondering about using adhesive magnetic strip all around to mount the back itself, which would fix the potential of a warping light leak and make changing orientation fast. And I was wondering if a clip to hold the center of each bungee cord down would improve its function.

I don't know how the front track works, but I would have tightened the focus lock BEFORE tightening the track screws. He may have locked the track in an unlocked position with the small screws.

But basically I am a wood repairman by occupation, and consequently these kinds of problem gets a shrug and a fix from me.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Yes, it appears Intrepid delivered a poor example with a bad GG frame, made incorrectly as they fixed it easily without a major redesign.

Intrepid did fix it immediately.

Other niggles are Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

Merry Christmas!

I'm still wanting to get my hands on a 2nd-gen 4x5. Thought I had someone who was going to trade me one for an extra Speed I have but I guess not.

Anyway, not sure I like the GG bungee system but it doesn't look that bad, once fixed. It's pretty amazing for the price and at the weight. There will always be compromises for the savings in both those categories. I'm not sure it's fair to compare this camera to one that costs on the used market 10x more. I am sure it's perfectly capable of making good images without technical issues, as long as one is careful. It's not a Linhof but neither is a Chamonix (after using a Cham 8x10, I didn't want one). I'm not in a rush to get rid of my Wehman, though.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Mine didn’t have any loose screws, and my Polaroid holder fits nicely, the big thing is how light it is, it fits into a back pack and means I can use a lighter tripod and head, it’s a massive improvement over my Bulldog kit camera and good value for money. The focussing is smooth and it holds my heavy Schneider 300mm fine . I’m a happy owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I'd keep in mind who the reviewer is and what his interests are. My interactions with him have been, unfortunately, less than stellar. And in my opinion, his knowledge of photography and large format gear is largely limited to what something costs and how much he can sell it for. And, I almost forgot, I just got my Intrepid today! Yes, it has some limitations, but for the costs and weight I think it's going to be great.