Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Easter Break in Moab

Drew Wiley

Re: Easter Break in Moab

Oh... Since Zion is way closer, John, just remember that it contains a majestic distinct district called Kolob Canyon. It is higher and somewhat south of accommodations in Cedar City. Backpack camping is on a reservation system. Some spectacular trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Just a few days ago I reprinted some old 4X5's of Fisher Towers and the Colorado River toward Cisco back when Moab was a distinctly unfriendly mining town. Now it's overrun with cyclists. Negro Bill Canyon is a hiking gem just a few miles out of town. If we see any climbers rappelling from Morning Glory Arch causing rope-burn marks, please lynch them with their own rope. Deadhorse Point and Arches are nearby. It's fairly easy to find solitude except in a few predictable postcard spots. Lots of trail bike opportunities, though last time I was there, the grocery store cashier said they were willing to pay a bounty for any cyclist you are able to run over with a truck.
    Sounds like the Buck Horn in North Fork!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Would you be up for camping? There are some amazing spots out there. I took a class trip there to visit arches and canyon lands--we camped in this place in the middle of nowhere and it was incredible. It's spectacular out there.

Not to be too pessimistic, but Spring is the worse and best time to visit "canyon country" -- and Easter or any Spring Holiday is the worst of the worst. Anywhere mountain bikes, motorcycles, and jeeps are allowed are simply over-run. For some areas -- more and more each year -- you need permits. Last time I checked to get a permit for the White Rim jeep trail (Island in the Sky) anytime in the Spring had a two year waiting list. If you use an outfitter, you will be all set because they buy up all the permits the day they become available -- and basically sell them to their customers for a hefty price. There are lots of well-known places around Moab -- Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Natural Bridges, etc. But there are even more-numerous, lesser-known areas -- Dark Canyon, Grand Staircase/Escalante, Bear Ears, Grand Gulch, etc.

It basically comes down to how well you handle crowds. If you like lots of people, your biggest problem will be finding a place(s) to stay. Just bring lots of cash and a 100X ND filter so you can take pictures without any "tourists" in the picture. If you like privacy, just stay away from places where bikes, motorcycles and jeeps are allowed. That's really pretty easy except that you will have to hike in several miles with your photo gear, camping gear, food, and water -- eight pounds per gallon. Early Spring or late Fall is the best hiking time. Winter, like right now, second best -- no crowds at all. Summer is just too hot. I've done it on Memorial Day in the San Rafael Reef in 100 degree sunliight with an 80 pound pack -- and somehow survived to tell about it.

If you want some tips on some "Vision Quest" types of areas -- like Robber's Roost and Sid's Mt. -- let me know. These are really easy to find -- just get some topos and go where there are no trails!

P.S. The City Market on the south side of Moab makes incredible cheese/jalapeno rolls/muffins. You have to stand in line even when it's not Easter!
    Last edited by xkaes; 25-Dec-2017 at 09:26.

When's best times for me and my wife to visit Zion, Bryce, Moab, Arches, Monument Valley, Capital Reef, Grand Canyon, Sedona. We plan to do a big circle using Sedona as a start and end point. We're retired so we have flexibility. We're not hiking or cycling so we don;t plan on staying extended times in any park. How much time should we allow? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    When's best times for me and my wife to visit Zion, Bryce, Moab, Arches, Monument Valley, Capital Reef, Grand Canyon, Sedona. We plan to do a big circle using Sedona as a start and end point. We're retired so we have flexibility. We're not hiking or cycling so we don;t plan on staying extended times in any park. How much time should we allow? Thanks.
    I'd recommend late Fall -- October/November. The crowds have died down by then and it's not too hot or cold. How much time? I'd plan on getting back home in February. Start with the northern areas (Island in the Sky) and work your way south. The North rim of the Grand Canyon -- the best part -- is closed in the Winter.

But in any case, spend as much time as you can on Utah Route 12.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Winter (January) view from I-80 across the Bonneville Salt Flat, Great Salt Lake, Utah:

Chopin Concertos (Rudolph Serkin, Piano) are on the stereo and I am going for a 15 mile bike ride before getting into the Christmas, 2017 meal. Instead of traditional, this year its Creole Chicken Jambalaya with pork, ham, and smoked sausage. I settled on the menu yesterday and in the afternoon rushed out to buy a whole young chicken and finally found one 5.45 pounder remaining at a Safeway and snapped it up. Everywhere there were only packages of all the same pieces until I found this Safeway. A few day ago whole fresh chickens were everywhere.

Merry Christmas,

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Hi John. I'm not familiar with the current bar or bars in North Fork. But previously, the son of the owner of the bar there would cross the river and visit us, because my nephew was in the same high school class. Nobody in that family, including the owner, would enter it during business hours. One Chistmas season, there were four murders, including a literal decapitation via buck knife. Old Moab was tame by comparison. But I walked into what was probably the only breakfast joint in town at that time and got quite an eyeing over from a sheriff that looked just like he'd come from a Hollywood Western movie set, and talked like it too. Think of how the Muny character (Clint Eastwood) felt when he encountered the Sheriff of Big Whiskey. I did walk out unlynched. There were closer calls in some of the polygamous towns.

We'd only have a few days at best. I was thinking mountain biking the Courthouse Wash loop trail, a full day rafting on the Colorado and some short easy hikes in Arches, using an outfitter for the mtn biking and river rafting(Moab Adventures, I think?) We'd need to get a motel. This will be a bonding and treat for my kids trip rather than a photo safari for dad.
    Fresno to St George is a full day of driving so we might hit Las Vegas (curses!) on the way coming or going.

Plan B would be blowing through Vegas and staying in St. George and scoping out Bryce and/or Zion on day trips.
    If the weather is nice, camping and star gazing would be an option.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Hi John. I'm not familiar with the current bar or bars in North Fork. But previously, the son of the owner of the bar there would cross the river and visit us, because my nephew was in the same high school class. Nobody in that family, including the owner, would enter it during business hours. One Chistmas season, there were four murders, including a literal decapitation via buck knife. Old Moab was tame by comparison. But I walked into what was probably the only breakfast joint in town at that time and got quite an eyeing over from a sheriff that looked just like he'd come from a Hollywood Western movie set, and talked like it too. Think of how the Muny character (Clint Eastwood) felt when he encountered the Sheriff of Big Whiskey. I did walk out unlynched. There were closer calls in some of the polygamous towns.
    North Fork has calmed down a notch since the lumber mill closed and all the chain saws had to be pawned to pay PG&E (Pacific Graft & Extortion) Now meth is the cash crop and no one wants to call attention to that but I wonder how many fires up there got started from cooking meth? .