Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Technology

Re: Computer Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    The 11/73 was running RSTS, RSX, or Unix?
    BSD2.11 is still the cutest little piece of daemon flavored UNIX ever :-)

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    BSD2.11 is still the cutest little piece of daemon flavored UNIX ever :-)
    Agreed. Reminds me of the time a friend of mine and I got 2.9 running on a Pro 350 (F-11 — PDP-11 on a chip)...boot from one floppy, swap on the other. Useless, but fun. Ok, now we’re officially way OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    Agreed. Reminds me of the time a friend of mine and I got 2.9 running on a Pro 350 (F-11 — PDP-11 on a chip)...boot from one floppy, swap on the other. Useless, but fun. Ok, now we’re officially way OT.
    OT? Not until I find the pictures of my VAX 11/730 with its skin off in my home office! In short order it became a table to support my Macintosh of the week.

By all means, carry on.

Unfortunately I don’t have photos of the Perq I used to have, or the Bitgraph, for that matter...

Corran, these are lovely. Thanks for sharing them with us.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Pali and seezee, thanks!

The above convo is way over my head...that stuff is before my time, literally .

I dug into my stuff and found a stash of interesting electron tubes, including a bunch in their original boxes! Played around tonight setting up a still life with a few of my favorite tubes. The small ones on the lower right are audio tubes (12AX7 or 12AT7) that sometimes are worth decent money. I don't know what the huge one in the back was for, but probably a big TV. Shot this with my Speedotron head w/ umbrella and a big white foamcore board on the left. It's a little dark but I want the background to be close to flat black - honestly I am not very well practiced for this kind of photo so I'm learning/practicing here. Maybe I'll flip the backdrop to white to better see the inside of the tubes.

Last edited by Corran; 22-Mar-2020 at 20:17.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Bryan, I knew you would get there. Power the tubes up, they glow nicely. This week I was trying to shoot the inside of my 50's Magnavox tube radio. Kinda boring as most of the tubes are inside metal shielding sleeves. I will try again as soon I find my Multi Band Grundig tube radio with Shortwave. It's still packed...Then I need to setup a long wire antenna.

My Atomic Bomb image took some fiddling. The 15-watt incandescent bulb was too bright to get any inside detail. I put a solid state Variac on it and went as low as it would go. It was very dim and zee film was very sensitive. Great fun in the winter studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Pali and seezee, thanks!

The above convo is way over my head...that stuff is before my time, literally .

I dug into my stuff and found a stash of interesting electron tubes, including a bunch in their original boxes! Played around tonight setting up a still life with a few of my favorite tubes. The small ones on the lower right are audio tubes (12AX7 or 12AT7) that sometimes are worth decent money. I don't know what the huge one in the back was for, but probably a big TV. Shot this with my Speedotron head w/ umbrella and a big white foamcore board on the left. It's a little dark but I want the background to be close to flat black - honestly I am not very well practiced for this kind of photo so I'm learning/practicing here. Maybe I'll flip the backdrop to white to better see the inside of the tubes.

Ooh, that is an interesting idea! I will try that. Any hints on which pins might be power?

It's called the 'pinout' a diagram of each pin function. I figure as a musician you have used tube amps.

Start here. http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/300B-SET-Amplifier/

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Ooh, that is an interesting idea! I will try that. Any hints on which pins might be power?

Thanks Randy. Actually I haven't used any tube amps but I have owned/used tube microphones. I've also wired up solid-state mics using a pinout but I wasn't sure what I was looking at wrt a tube. After reading around a bit I figured out what I'm looking for is just the "heater." Being mostly ignorant on how the tube functions, I didn't realize that is what the filament was referred to as on the pinout. Now to go find some wire .