Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 7x17 lenses?

7x17 lenses?

The considering is over.

Indeed, I took posession today of my "new" (used) 7x17 Wisner. It came with 3 S&S holders, a Satin Snow GG + a spare, lots of film and a terrific case for it all. I mounted my 14" Ektar on it for now and I get full coverage +. I'll be mounting my 355 G-Claron later and will try the 480 APo and my 165 as well. I may get a longer lens later (600+). Looks great and I love the format!

Thanks again, all for the good info. Off with my new toy now!

Re: 7x17 lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton
    For my two cents (plus a couple of thou., if you can even find one) the last series of 14" Goerz Blue-Dot Trigor lenses out of the Kern factory were the cats pajamas for 11X14, and should do nicely with 7X17.
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_4927
    love my blue dot trigor... Covers like a dagor but almost as sharp as an artar. Covers my 8x20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimm Galli
    I have a Kern BD Trigor and it is different than it's cousin Dagor. It covers 7X17 with adequate movements.
    OK gents, I took your recommendations to heart and just picked up a 14" Blue Dot Trigor off eBay. It didn't come cheap, but I've been looking for a compact, lightweight 355mm - 360mm lens for my 7x17 and there aren't a lot of choices. I hope it lives up to its reputation. Of course, if it does, I may spring for getting the cells mounted in a nice spiffy Copal No. 3 and that will be even more bucks. Should be here in a couple days.

Kerry

I'll be interested in your feedback of that lens Kerry.

While we're at it, I have 2 lenses that cover the 717 format to sell. 305 G-Claron, and 10 3/4" Dagor. Both listed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann
    OK gents, I took your recommendations to heart and just picked up a 14" Blue Dot Trigor off eBay. It didn't come cheap, but I've been looking for a compact, lightweight 355mm - 360mm lens for my 7x17 and there aren't a lot of choices. I hope it lives up to its reputation. Of course, if it does, I may spring for getting the cells mounted in a nice spiffy Copal No. 3 and that will be even more bucks. Should be here in a couple days.

Kerry
    Kerry,

My understanding from someone who used the Blue Dot Trigor lens is that it has less coverage than a Dagor of the same focal length. I can't verify this since I have never used a BDT, but the informatin came from a reliable source. However, coverage should be enough for 7X17, though I don't think it will cover 12X20 as a 14" Dagor would.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Kerry,

My understanding from someone who used the Blue Dot Trigor lens is that it has less coverage than a Dagor of the same focal length. I can't verify this since I have never used a BDT, but the informatin came from a reliable source. However, coverage should be enough for 7X17, though I don't think it will cover 12X20 as a 14" Dagor would.

Sandy King
    Sandy,

To hit the corners of 7x17, a 14" lens only need about 66 degrees of coverage. Of course, a bit more, say 72 - 75 degrees, to allow for movements would be nice. I've read reports online that claim up to 80 degrees of coverage for the Blue Dot Trigor. Even if those reports are exaggerated and it "only" covers 75 degrees, I'll be a happy camper. I don't have the lens yet, but from pictures and the f11 max. aperture it looks to be pretty compact. And, as it's a later sample it should be in an aluminum barrel, making it very lightweight.

If it ends up being a keeper, my first inclination would be to have it mounted in a Copal No. 3 shutter, but now I'm wondering if it would fit in a Compur No. 2. Several years ago, I had Steve Grimes mount a 14" f9 LD Artar in a Compur No. 2 for me. It's much smaller and lighter than anything in a No. 3 shutter, but it doesn't have nearly enough coverage for 7x17. I have another Compur No. 2 that I've been saving in case anything special comes along. This might be the one (assuming it's possible - getting the 14" LD Artar to fit took a substantial effort on Steve's part).

Kerry

A 16 1/2 ARTAR is a nice choice for 7 x 17 I have found. For whatever reason, they seem to be 'more-reasonably' priced than other 'cult' type lenses. The 24" ARTAR is also nice, but tends to be quite a bit more expensive. I have been looking out for a 19" ARTAR also.

I have an older 12" dagor, and a G Claron 305....personally, I prefer the Dagor....can't really tell you why, it's more of a 'feel' thing....

It was suggested that I would prefer the Claron....maybe I just need to give it some more tries in the field....

Kerry,

The f/11 process Dagors are the same size as their f/7.7 ot f/6.8 kin, at least according to the three I've had. You'll find the iris in the barrel just doesn't open up further than f/11.

I've tested a Kern Blue Dot and owned a Kern Gold Dot. I found the BDT to be a bit sharper and a bit shorter both in physical length and focal length (by about 10mm IIRC). That was a nice looking lens on eBay if you're the one that got it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley
    Kerry,

The f/11 process Dagors are the same size as their f/7.7 ot f/6.8 kin, at least according to the three I've had. You'll find the iris in the barrel just doesn't open up further than f/11.

I've tested a Kern Blue Dot and owned a Kern Gold Dot. I found the BDT to be a bit sharper and a bit shorter both in physical length and focal length (by about 10mm IIRC). That was a nice looking lens on eBay if you're the one that got it.

Steve
    Steve,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it might be a bit too big to fit into a Compur No. 2 shutter. Initially, I plan to use it with a behind the lens shutter. If I really, REALLY like it, I may eventually have it mounted in a Copal No. 3.

Yes, that's the one I got off eBay. According to the seller, it was bought new and never used. The price was steep (by my standards), but still quite a bit less than the Computars and Gold Dot Dagors have been going for lately.

Kerry

Kerry,

I suspect you're right about the shutter sizes; it really isn't a lightweight lens except in consideration of the modern coated alternatives. It probably doesn't have front threads; I couldn't really tell from the picture - and that complicates field use sans shutter. Of course, you could hit the easy button and do a 355mm G-Claron in shutter for about half the price, the weight won't that much different.

However, the price wasn't bad especially for one in that condition. S.K. Grimes will charge about $700 to mount it including the Copal 3 shutter, and Lens and Repro recently sold one that was S.K. Grimes mounted with caps and filter adapter for around $1,800 - $2,000 IIRC. I might have bought the eBay lens myself but I have other fish to fry.

I'm using a 360mm f/9 WA Apo Nikkor on 8x20 which I really, really like. It's a larger lens and uses 86mm filters (95mm on mine via step up) but really isn't any heavier than a 355 G-Claron.

Steve

Steve,

Lens & Repro currently has one listed on their website in a Copal No. 3 shutter with a 67mm filter adapter for $1950. They recently had one listed at $2150. I'm not sure if this is teh same one with a lowered price, or a different lens. I do have a Copal No. 3 shutter that I could use for the mounting of this lens. I occasionally pick them up when I can get them for less than $300. It seems like you can never have too many shutters for these special kinds of projects.

By definition, anything in a Copal No. 3 doesn't qualify as "lightweight", but it's all relative. On 4x5 and 4x10, I successfully managed to avoid No. 3 shutters for year. For 7x17, the kind of go with the territory (the 305mm G Glaron and 450mm Fujinon C being exceptions).

I've watched several 355mm G Clarons go by on eBay and even one of the 360mm WA APO Nikkors, but was hoping for something a little smaller/lighter. I especially like the fact that the 14" Trigor can be used with 67mm filters. I standardized on this size years ago for my 4x5 and 4x10 lenses and my other 7x17 lenses take 67mm (or smaller) filters. I suppose it's false economy to save money on filters when buying a lens in this price range, but it helps take a little sting off the wallet.

I'm really looking forward to testing the Trigor against the 360mm Fujinon A - the other reasonably lightweight, compact offering in this focal length that MIGHT be usable on 7x17.

Kerry
    Last edited by Kerry L. Thalmann; 24-Jul-2006 at 11:34.