Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affordable tripod for Chanomix 45N-2?

Affordable tripod for Chanomix 45N-2?

Hi,

I have just purchased a Chanomix 45N-2 (my first LF camera) along with a Nikkor SW 120mm f/8 lens with comes to a combined weight of just under 5lb. I'm currently on the hunt for an appropriate/affordable tripod (I plan to shoot predominantly architecture and portraiture).

Having read some articles in the various forums it seems like Gitzo make high quality tripods but unfortunately they are a little out of my budget. Can anyone recommend an alternative that would suit my needs for around $200? I have been using a Manfrotto compact advance tripod with my 35mm cameras which I have been happy with but assume would be unsuitable for a 4x5 camera??

Thanks in advance!

Charlie

Re: Affordable tripod for Chanomix 45N-2?

Quote Originally Posted by cwhill View Post
    Hi,

I have just purchased a Chanomix 45N-2 (my first LF camera) along with a Nikkor SW 120mm f/8 lens with comes to a combined weight of just under 5lb. I'm currently on the hunt for an appropriate/affordable tripod (I plan to shoot predominantly architecture and portraiture).

Having read some articles in the various forums it seems like Gitzo make high quality tripods but unfortunately they are a little out of my budget. Can anyone recommend an alternative that would suit my needs for around $200? I have been using a Manfrotto compact advance tripod with my 35mm cameras which I have been happy with but assume would be unsuitable for a 4x5 camera??

Thanks in advance!

Charlie
    Something like a Manfrotto 3021 should work and is cheap for your light weight Chamonix

Maybe you might want to check out the Sirui products. It's not a geared head if that's what you're looking for but the one I got is more than adequate for my Shen Hao 4x5. I actually have a Toyo studio camera on it right now with a pencil laser attached. I'm still testing it but so far there's no creep or vibration evident.

I got the N2204X Carbon tripod (mfg claim is 15 kg capacity) because I wanted a taller tripod (min 145 mm/max 1605 mm) although I've never pushed my camera to that height. The head I got was the Sirui K-40X ball head. They claim a maximum rated load of 35 kg but I've never come close to testing that. It was less expensive than all the others I looked at and comes nicely finished with separate storage/transport bags for the tripod and head.

It also comes with rubber cap/metal pick feet and a hook for weights so all in all, I've been very pleased with it. Great value for the money. Maybe it's a little overkill for my small camera but I believe (now) that the tripod is one piece of kit that you don't want to skimp on - you'll end up buying a second one. My first one is gathering dust in the closet.

Good luck in your search
    Dave
    Last edited by DHodson; 16-Dec-2017 at 07:01.

There is always the Tiltall option. Get an old used aluminum original Marchioni or a little later Leitz version for less than $100 off Ebay. They weigh about 6 lbs and will hold your Chamonix, no problem.

Another vote for the American made (not imported) Tiltall. They have been my first choice since 1969, despite using many others. I've had five Tiltalls. One branded Star D worked as well as the Marchioni and Leitz. I sold one overseas rather than bother to bring it back to America. One was lost. Two were given to special friends. One that had to be made before 1974 is battered, but still functions perfectly. Tiltall relied on simple and sound engineering and good construction rather than on unnecessary conveniences and unreliable modern materials. I've used one at -60 degrees F with none of the problems that may plague newer tripods. The three-axis head is a bonus. It creeps a little as I tighten it with a 1000mm lens on a 35mm camera, but this shouldn't be noticeable with the Chamonix.

I agree. A domestic Tiltall would be a good economical choice. Mine handles both a 5x7 Speed Graphic and GVII with no complaints.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Another vote for the Manfrotto 3021 in its various forms. I say this because it's new and new parts are available. The Tiltall is fine as a concept, but I once had one that was heavily worn, and it is not a nice thing once it starts to go; even my oldest Bogens haven't gotten sloppy as the Tiltall had.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

But a slik.carbon.comes with a head
    A bout $130...works fine

Thanks for all the responses!

Both the Tiltall and Manfrotto 3021 look good. I'm struggling to find a 3021 but there are some new Tiltall's at BH which look great and affordable. So currently leaning towards to Tiltall. There is a used 3021 at BH but think I would prefer something new. Links to both below.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...es_tripod.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rome_with.html

Thanks again!

The Manfrotto 055 is the 3021 equivalent, and is available new in several different versions. My 055s happily hold my 4x5 and 5x7 cameras, and grudgingly bear my 8x10 Ansco view. I am planning to use an 055 with my 8x10 Intrepid, when it comes.

The point of failure of the Tiltall was from the panning mechanism being located at the base of the post. Loosening the panning lock caused the whole post to become a wobble-column. Tightening it invariably resulted in the camera being pointed slightly differently than intended. Perhaps this was adjustable, but putting the mechanism at such a distance from the head is simply an error of design, from any rational viewpoint.
    Last edited by mdarnton; 16-Dec-2017 at 13:41.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear