Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing-Out Paper?

Printing-Out Paper?

Does anyone know if Printing-Out Paper is still available anywhere?

Can't seen anything on Google.

Thanks.

Re: Printing-Out Paper?

Not for a long time. If you haven't already, search for Centennial POP, which was the last commercial version.

There are articles on unblinking eye and the light farm about making silver gelatin POP, and it doesn't look all that hard, but there are other print-out processes that are easier to work with.

Okay thanks for that. I'll go and take a look for Centennial. Will also look at Unblinking Eye.

multiplex

you might go to thelightfarm.com. and look at recipes they have there to make your own. its the only way to get it nowadays, and it's really not very hard to make photo emulsion, if its going on paper instead of glass or metal or plastic ( stuff that can't wash out ) you don't need to noodle and wash the emulsion it can be unwashed. I make one every few months and it takes about 20 minutes, and then however long it takes to solidify, and the wait is the hardest part. I think there are people who are dabbling in ways to convert DOP ( regular enlarging developing out paper ) into POP by putting a top coat of silver nitrate on it, I don't know the details.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmcateer View Post
    Okay thanks for that. I'll go and take a look for Centennial. Will also look at Unblinking Eye.
    All the Centennial paper I've seen in the last few years is getting pretty old. Even unopened boxes that have been kept cool are not in great shape. It's fun to play with. Kodak Studio Proof was still available when I was young, untoned prints deep red color.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    you might go to thelightfarm.com. and look at recipes they have there to make your own. its the only way to get it nowadays, and it's really not very hard to make photo emulsion, if its going on paper instead of glass or metal or plastic ( stuff that can't wash out ) you don't need to noodle and wash the emulsion it can be unwashed. I make one every few months and it takes about 20 minutes, and then however long it takes to solidify, and the wait is the hardest part. I think there are people who are dabbling in ways to convert DOP ( regular enlarging developing out paper ) into POP by putting a top coat of silver nitrate on it, I don't know the details.
    Top coating regular dw paper sounds like a good idea. Maybe just add a bit of silver nitrate???. I'm too old to start this. Never mind

Here's a story I read somewhere and can't attribute, so be skeptical if you like.
    It was said that Ilford manufactured the Centennial POP. A change in factories meant that it was no longer possible to make it due to health & safety concerns (or regulations). Plausible enough... it also may be that Ilford wasn't making a profit on a very niche product.
    Certainly Kodak offered many unprofitable products (like Studio Proof) well into the 1990s; they were carried by the massive profits from color paper, color neg film, motion-picture print stock, etc. At least until the bean-counters got their way...
    Which is a shame, because I'd like to try it myself. Oh well!
    Last edited by Mark Sampson; 6-Feb-2022 at 20:20.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Thanks for that. I'll check out thelightfarm. It looks like no-one makes POP any more though, so as you say I would have to make it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    All the Centennial paper I've seen in the last few years is getting pretty old. Even unopened boxes that have been kept cool are not in great shape. It's fun to play with. Kodak Studio Proof was still available when I was young, untoned prints deep red color.
    Yes I've discovered that POP had a reddish tint to it.

There is a resurgence of making your own POP papers. You can buy kits from Photographers Formulary or Bostick and Sullivan that make it relatively easy. Wolfgang Moersh also has many formulas and toners that let you achieve what ever you want - his latest is Lobotype which I am trying.
    There is also Rollie RBM3 Emulsion variable contrast or Liquid Light which you can coat any paper with. There are also many formulas for making your own emulsion.

Warning - once you go down this rabbit hole you will need lots of time, energy, and money - its addictive.

Salt printing gives a redish/chocolate to plum-Chocolate brown image.
    Iron salts give more neutral gray to warm gray tones
    Platinum/Palladium vary from warm to neutral
    Liquid emulsion is fairly neutral to warm

Most can be toned to achieve a different color tone.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography