Thread: Water filters

Water filters

I recently have built what I hope to be my last darkroom. I installed inline water filters for the first time. The amount of printing I do is variable sometimes a couple of times a week, sometimes a month between sessions. Is there a necessity to empty the water out of the filter holders if I don't anticipate printing or developing for several weeks? Thanks.

Re: Water filters

I suppose that depends on residual chlorination held in the lines and filters. I'd probably open all valves every 30 days to run fresh water through for a minute or two. Then, I'd run a minute or two before each mixing or processing session, even if only a few days apart.

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    I suppose that depends on residual chlorination held in the lines and filters. I'd probably open all valves every 30 days to run fresh water through for a minute or two. Then, I'd run a minute or two before each mixing or processing session, even if only a few days apart.
    Only if you're planning on drinking the water

Luis, I've seen some VERY bad stuff flushed through my faucets if they sit unused for a month. Believe me... you would NOT want to wipe your behind with it, let alone drink it or process important images in it.

No need to open the filter holders, they operate wet and can stay wet indefinitely.

It really depends on the water quality and plumbing. I have well water with a huge amount of dissolved iron, plus various salts (including nitrate). Plastic pipe apparently allows enough oxygen in to precipitate iron, and if left for weeks or months at a time slime molds develop on the water filters (both upstream and downstream from the filter itself. A long downtime means a new set of filters unless I want to spend a lot of time spotting negatives...

Only experience will tell you what is appropriate for your personal situation.

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    Luis, I've seen some VERY bad stuff flushed through my faucets if they sit unused for a month. Believe me... you would NOT want to wipe your behind with it, let alone drink it or process important images in it.
    If that's the case frankly I'd move!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    If that's the case frankly I'd move!
    I no longer have the fiscal means to do so...