Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classified ads

Classified ads

Ole!

"Now where did I see a 1200mm APO-Rodagon a little while ago??? I guess that should be usable for enlarging a 20x24" negative "

Are you holding back on me? Do you have something that might work?
    Teddan

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Classified ads

Misremembered - it's an APO-Ronar. But still 1200mm, f:16. You have mail

Classified ads

UGH! NICE! Thanks Ole.

If I only could understand German though!
    The only German I remember from school is a VERY rude comment about
    a guy's mother...

Think I will buy film instead for the time being. D
    Teddan

multiplex

Classified ads

tom yanul makes enlargments from ulf negatives (upto 12x20 negs)
    he is in chicago though, not europe ...

http://hometown.aol.com/%20yanulpan/lab.html

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Classified ads

Tedd wrote:
    "Why yes! Why not!?

A question has been posed, "To enlarge or not to enlarge, that's the question?"

ABSOLUTELY! We have these huge negatives with tremendous amounts of information, tones and passion! They truely aren't appreciated and do not come to life and justice until they are enlarged. "
    And they call Americans crazy! :-)

And here's all the contact printing guys waxing poetic about their contact prints and how nothing else beats it, and you come along and build an ULF enlarger! Now, that's the kind of argument we should be having around here, instead of this silly analog vs digital nonsense.

Until you get that 1200mm enlarging lens, why don't you use the same lens on the enlarger that you used on the camera? You know it covers the negative.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Classified ads

Thank you Brian.

Maybe this should be made into a thread of its own, "ULF Enlarger". I'd love the feed back.
    Bigger and better, is't that the US motto?
    Although I am a transplanted american here in Sthlm.

As to the use of my 300mm lens... As I understand it it needs to be an enlarging lens or copy lens as
    they are built differently. It has been suggested to me to get a Red Dot Artar.

Comments? Donators?
    Teddan

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Classified ads

After a quick Google, I came up with the following info:

Goertz Red Dot Artar, Process lens, 1205mm
    Goertz Red Dot Artar, Process lens, 1280mm

That page only exists in Google's cache, and a search specifically for either length comes up with nothing for sale, or that anyone admits owning.

Yeah, I know, you're not supposed to use a taking lens as an enlarging lens, but it would work, though. The enlarging lens is optimized for flat-field to flat-field, while the taking lens isn't. But it wouldn't hurt to try, and at least just look at the projected image, maybe tack a few 8x10s in the corners to see how it does. Maybe its good enough to use.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Classified ads

Tedd

I built two large format enlargers. I built a 16 x 20 from scratch and used a 420mm Apo Nikkor or a 500mm Tessar for my larger negatives. The other one I built from a 20 x 24 process camera. I could project a negative (up to 30 x 48). I put the whole camera on a track. Enlarging an image length up to 32" I used a 760mm Apo Nikkor. For larger image length, I used a 1200mm Apo Tessar. I used the original bellows and built four extensions I could insert when I needed up to 100" of bellows. I had a big engineering camera projector (Opti Copy) which used a 600mm Apo germinar. The enlarging image size was 19 x 26.
    I don't think you need a really long lens for what you plan. A 24" lens like an Apo Nikkor or a Rodagon should give you what you need.
    Having been there I wish I could drop by and get my hands dirty.

Richard

Classified ads

Thank you Richard.

Swing by Sthlm sometime. The lab and my studio doors are open!
    Do you have any pics your drawings over your designs?
    Teddan

Classified ads

There are 2 Artars on Ebay right now. A 35" and a 47". Both a little long, but if you've got the floorspace and the rails...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOERZ-LARGE-FORMAT-LENS-ARTAR-APOCHROMAT-RED-35-IN-F-12_W0QQitemZ7535680818QQcategoryZ15247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem