Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turner-Reich modifications?

Turner-Reich modifications?

I've browsed the web for Gundlach Turner-Reich convertible anastigmats and found what seemed to be two different types of those. Both were 12" in focal length but one was composed of 17" and 25" halves, and the other, of 21" and 28" halves. If the optical systems of both were identical the 21" + 28" combination should be longer in focus then the 17" + 25"....

I did not find any data on this lens modifications. Could anybody please clarify the difference between those?

Thanks.

Re: Turner-Reich modifications?

ridax, please post your source for a 12" T-R triple convertible with 17" and 25" cells.

I asked because your question prompted me to look in all of the catalogs behind http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogsgundman.htm. In all of them the 12" T-R triple convertible Ser. II has 21" and 28" cells and no 17" or 25" cells are mentioned in the tables for the T-R Ser. II.

I've just realized the shorter half was not 17" but 19.7" (500.4mm).... but it's still not 21". And the longer half is marked 25" (635mm), not 28".

This is the one I've actually bought (it hasn't come to my place yet, though):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122797673716

And another 12", reported to be composed of 19.7" and 25" halves, is shown here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zanes-...hy/5776286795/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/zanes-...hy/5776829748/

The serial numbers are pretty close BTW.

Thanks for the links. The first is to an f/7.0 lens. The catalogs I looked in showed f/7.5ers first (1900-1903), then f/6.8 1906 (or earlier, Pierce Vaubel doesn't have '04 or '05) through 1932. In all years, 12" = 21" + 28".

Your new treasure may be later. I have no idea how much later.

I've got one of those 19/25 convertible Turner Reich lenses. Don't think 21/28 inch cells fit in that shutter, so be careful if you buy more TR cells to make up a convertible set. On the other hand, my Zeiss D set of Protar VII cells (48/41/35/28cm) does fit that 19/25 shutter (cells with a 57mm slip on diameter).

Hmmm, Makes me wonder when Gundlach stopped making lenses- probably pre-WW2. Did they go under in the Depression or were they swallowed up by another company?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Hmmm, Makes me wonder when Gundlach stopped making lenses- probably pre-WW2. Did they go under in the Depression or were they swallowed up by another company?
    I have a 1950 Popular Photography buying guide that shows a number of Gundlach large format lenses including the Turner Reich.
    David

Thanks for all the answers.

I'm mostly interested in using the single elements of this lens, and a 28" would be more attractive to me then a 25". But the f/6.8 combinations of 21" and 28" cells are only offered now on e-bay (BIN) for more then twice the bid I've won the 19.7" + 25" for, so I started from the cheaper end.

I'll soon be able to compare their performance to that of my Protar VII cells but still I'll have no clue if my 19.7" and 25" are equal in image quality or better or worse then the 21" and 28" Turner-Reichs, and if I'd better look for those or forget them.... Does anybody by any chance have any experience with both the Turner-Reich versions?

I wouldn't expect much from the single elements. I had a 12" TR triple (of the 21/28 type) and both the single elements were pretty bad, even stopped way down. I sold that lens for like $100 here on the classifieds a few years ago.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

To expand on my previous post, this 1950 Pop. Photo. buying guide lists the Gundlach Turner-Reich as available in six focal lengths, from 5 to 15 inches. They are described as coated and "highly corrected for color." The 12 inch lens is made up of a 28 and a 21 inch component. The next buying guide in my collection is 1956, Gundlach is not listed there.
    David