Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Painting an Elwood?

Re: Painting an Elwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    The correct bulb is over 7" long, maybe 8" to hit the domes sweet spot. Lettering is on the base side, not top which can print through. I have Osram ECT. They are short. I tried ceramic extenders. Then I went to old camera stores and bought NOS.
    I wondered how much diffusion vs condenser that head has. I wasn't sure if the lettering would show. You seem like the type that would have a Variac laying around. I wonder if a Variac could be used to focus and extent lamp life without having to change to the CFL.

Could also use an Aristo D750 dimmer, which is what I use. Good up to 750 watts. L

I use a Variac on my Beseler MX and CB7 using PH 212 150 watt and drop the voltage to 90 vac, they have it built in. I also have an old DIY solid state box somebody else made, but I don't want to try it with 500 watts. I use it to dim 100 watt actual LED. One of these days I will buy a known heavy load model.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I wondered how much diffusion vs condenser that head has. I wasn't sure if the lettering would show. You seem like the type that would have a Variac laying around. I wonder if a Variac could be used to focus and extent lamp life without having to change to the CFL.

The paint [hammer-tone] is not heat resistant. But the housing of press should not be getting that hot. The paint (Hammered Metal that is commonly available) has held up well past 6 years.
    I might just be lucky, the the hammer tone paint I get at our local auto parts shop is certainly heat resistant enough for lamp housings and motorcycle parts (not exhausts).

The difficulty with the paint is making it behave properly to give a desirable texture. Clean prep is important, then lay down a coat of zinc spray (it is green), then hammer tone. Two layers with the first layer just short of curing - usually 30 minutes, followed by the second coat. Let it be for an hour, then bake it at 350° for two hours. (Your housemate must be forgiving. It smokes and stinks.)

If you have a wrinkle finish paint that has bare spots, don't strip, you can fix 'em by taking an old can of flat to semigloss enamel, carefully removing the lid to find some of the paint glop that is on the inside lid, dapping that glob onto the bare spot filling it up, then after setting for ten or fifteen minutes, take a well washed fingertip and lightly dab the paint about 10 times... Your fingerprint will leave a texture, and some paint will stick and release from your finger, raising the wrinkle... (don't overdo it) Then paint a light coat over everything, or black can be matched if careful...

Good luck, but test a spot first...

Steve K

Yes, but one problem would be when using any kind of dimmer is that it shifts the color spectrum towards the red end, and you loose more of the remaining blue/green end, so this severely affects the B/W paper sensitivity...

Better to just use a lower wattage lamp if too much output, but in practice, most lamps can last a long time if carefully installed and cycled...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Yes, but one problem would be when using any kind of dimmer is that it shifts the color spectrum towards the red end, and you loose more of the remaining blue/green end, so this severely affects the B/W paper sensitivity...

Better to just use a lower wattage lamp if too much output, but in practice, most lamps can last a long time if carefully installed and cycled...

Steve K
    Just last week I was reading a post on here, where someone plotted out how much bulb life you save by using a Variac. Something like using 110V instead of 120V nets you a noticeably increased lifespan. Sadly, I cannot find the thread

the face idea strikes me as the only solution. elwood after all looks more like a cute alien rather than a machine and does have personality.

btw, high heat paints adhere better to metal and come in a nice assortment of colors... auto paint shops carry it.

I have an Elwood in my basement that a friend gave me. Never used it since I was only contact printing 8x10. But his wife painted it -- the column and base -- blue with white clouds. Kind of neat looking.

The thing is a beast though and I want to get rid of it. No one wants it and I'm trying to bring myself to drag it to the curb for the junk man. Seems wrong somehow...
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

Randy.....

I have a 5 amp Variac that belonged to my late dad. It's dirty and might need a new power cord-BUT, if you want it,it's yours for postage. I need to test it,but I'm 90% sure it works.