Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One way to keep the spot meter handy

One way to keep the spot meter handy

Meter holsters are outside my budget, so I looked around for alternatives. The following is not a solution for everyone, but perhaps a few may find it suits. I have put together one version of a way to hang my Pentax V (analogue) meter from my belt inexpensively.

Part one is a tripod-thread screw with a split ring attached to the other end. The screw goes into the meter bottom, and a thick rubber gasket provides non-slip tension to avoid it loosening. Part two is small, carabiner-like hook attached to a "military-style" nylon-web strap that goes a round one's belt and fastens with Velcro. By putting the Velcro seal against the body, there's little chance of if it opening. Both items together set me back about $10. For safety back-up, a boot lace through the meter's strap eye and attached to belt or belt loop is long enough to raise the meter but not let it hit the ground.

The ring that came with the screw is heftier than the one that came with the little "carabiner", so I'm using it, though it's slightly more trouble to remove. A few more dollars may eventually go for a more elegant model.

A metal clip over-the-belt with a carabiner is another possibility.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: One way to keep the spot meter handy

I just put a boot lace through the meter's strap eye.
    Route it around my neck and put the meter in a pocket of my shooting jacket.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Drew Wiley

Keep it at the right spot ! ... seriously, I've dropped em. So now I have a clip permanently attached to my tripod rather than a mere hook, so it can't accidentally fall off. When it's not in imminent use, it's always safely either in a pack or shoulder bag compartment.

I carry my Gossen UltraSpot II, which is fairly large and bulky compared to a Pentax spot meter (which I have as a back-up), in one of Think Tank's "lens drop" lens holder pouches that is designed to be carried and used with one of their waist belts - so the meter is always ready to go at belt level and protected in the lens drop holder. I use other Think Tank pouches on the belt system to carry other necessities like a water bottle and extra 4x5 film holders (i.e., Think Tank used to make pouches for their belt system that were specially designed to carry up to six 4x5 film holders, and I have two of those now-discontinued pouches). I typically use a Billingham photographer's vest to carry filters, cable releases, extra rolls of 120 film, pens/pencils, cell phone and various other essential gear for taking images; while my camera(s) and lenses are in one of Think Tank's back packs. The tripod can be hand carried or easily strapped to the back pack. I don't do any camping or extended hiking on my photo trips, and typically range away from my car for only a couple of hours at a time, or less.
    Last edited by JMO; 17-Aug-2018 at 09:39.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

I made my own light meter holder out of leather. I bought some scrap leather, probably cost me around $5-7. Then I cut it to shape (made a paper mock up first and used staples to make sure everything was the right size) and assembled the leather together with contact cement. The contact cement was just to hold it in place temporarily. Then I punched some holes in it with an awl and sewed it all together with some upholstery thread. Lastly, I sewed some Velcro on the flap to keep it secure, and sewed a beltloop on the back side. It took an afternoon to do.

The plus side is it looks like a real gun holster. Oddly enough, it keeps people from bothering me while I'm shooting (because only a serious photographer would think it's light meter and not a real gun) and in crowded, touristy areas, it keeps people from pushing me out of the way so they can get their shots in. And lastly, it keeps would be thieves away. I've been lucky enough to not get anything stolen before, but I've had a few close calls. Occasionally, I'll find someone sneaking around my camera bag or eyeing my gear for a while, and then offering to "take my shot". With the "gun holster" on my hip, they keep their distance.

The down side is you can tell that some people are scared off. Mothers will sometimes pull their children away from you and scurry off. Oddly enough, I've never had an issue with police, security, park rangers, or any other officials. Either they know it's not a gun, or they suspect I'm allowed to have one on me.

But I like it because when I'm photographing, I don't like to be bothered, and it keeps people from bothering me. Plus, it's a handy spot to keep my light meter near by without being in the way. And if I don't want to put it on my belt, I can put it on the shoulder strap of my camera bag.

Drew Wiley

Don't try that here on the streets. Twenty gangbangers with a cumulative residual IQ of 37 will whip out pistols and there will be a melee. I actually have a leather holster for my spotmeter too, but it gets in the way of my pack hip support, so I haven't used it in decades. And city cops themselves aren't amused by anything resembling a gun. I don't blame them. But I wouldn't worry about any place rural, or even open spaces adjacent to cities here. I find my Big Ries tripod with its spiked feet to be more intimidating to potential idiots ...just kidding. Unless it's downtown where tripods simply don't belong amidst pedestrian hours, most of the people on the trails or parks in this area are extremely polite and won't even walk in front of your camera without asking. They might want to chat. Had that happen last Sat by a young film enthusiast. But tourist trap areas are a different subject, best avoided unless you want some Dennis the Menace type aiming his slingshot at your lens or groundglass.

i use a belt hammer hook with a small piece of bungie cord over the top to keep it from falling out.

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathe...+for+tool+belt

Looks good. When checked out the link, I also saw this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4G1QBR...7xJWJc4u.XPrAg
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Don't try that here on the streets. Twenty gangbangers with a cumulative residual IQ of 37 will whip out pistols and there will be a melee. I actually have a leather holster for my spotmeter too, but it gets in the way of my pack hip support, so I haven't used it in decades. And city cops themselves aren't amused by anything resembling a gun. I don't blame them. But I wouldn't worry about any place rural, or even open spaces adjacent to cities here. I find my Big Ries tripod with its spiked feet to be more intimidating to potential idiots ...just kidding. Unless it's downtown where tripods simply don't belong amidst pedestrian hours, most of the people on the trails or parks in this area are extremely polite and won't even walk in front of your camera without asking. They might want to chat. Had that happen last Sat by a young film enthusiast. But tourist trap areas are a different subject, best avoided unless you want some Dennis the Menace type aiming his slingshot at your lens or groundglass.
    Yeah, it’s a bit of a different culture in Oklahoma. No one bats an eye when it looks like someone has a gun on their hip because it’s not an uncommon site. Police don’t care one bit. Most of them are heavy gun rights proponents around here. Same with gangs. They’re more likely to leave you alone if they think you’re armed. They’re also less organized and territorial. It’s a different world from California, for better AND for worse. I’ve lived all over the US, and Oklahoma is the most gun happy place I’ve seen. We make Texas look like a liberal safe haven. Which makes me a fish a long way from water.

Not that I own a gun, or even want to. Nope, my plan if someone breaks into my house is to charge at them, full speed, while buck naked, because nothing is scarier than a fearless naked dude bearing down on you with crazy eyes.

The Sekonic L-758D spot/incident/flash meter comes delivered in a nice padded zip top case with velcro flaps on the back for secure belt mounting. It's a convenient feature I use often and I figure I deserve it considering the expense of buying the meter. And it does not look like a gun.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".