Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paper For Contact Printing

Re: Paper For Contact Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    I'll revive this thread...

I'm interested in Adox Lupex paper. Can anyone comment on it? What's the tone / tint and texture like? How does it compare to Azo / Lodima? I see the latter is mostly out of stock, and with Michael's passing do you think they will make anymore?
    I process both Lupex and Lodima in Amidol. The Lupex, in this developer, has a lovely ever so slightly warm color; Lodima is neutral to my eye. Neither paper really has a texture... pretty much like any modern glossy FB paper. Contrast-wise, Lupex = Lodima grade 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    ...Contrast-wise, Lupex = Lodima grade 4.
    Doesn't that depend on the batch of Lodima one's comparing Lupex to?

I guess I'll just have to order a box to try it out, but wonder what the contrast is like compared to multigrade papers? I tend to print around grade 2-3, depending on neg. I develop my negatives in PMK. It's a shame they only offer Lupex in grade 3...

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Well...back when I received my first order of Lodima there was no grade 4 or Lupex available. Then, coincidentally Lupex and Lodima grade 4 hit the market at about the same time. There has been speculation that they are the same paper. I've never used Lodima grade 4. Also, MAS told me that his Lodima grade 4 was "like" Lupex...whatever that means exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    I guess I'll just have to order a box to try it out, but wonder what the contrast is like compared to multigrade papers? I tend to print around grade 2-3, depending on neg. I develop my negatives in PMK. It's a shame they only offer Lupex in grade 3...
    If most of your prints are with a grade 2 - 3 filter on typical multigrade papers, then I'd suspect you won't like the contrast of Lupex. There are techniques you can use to reduce the Lupex contrast a bit, but... I would say Lodima grade 3 would be a better fit for you, but that grade has been sold out for a long time and who knows if there will be anymore Lodima once the current stock is all sold.

Thanks for the advise. It's a shame these graded silver-chloride papers have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur. I'm curious to try them and compare against my current MC fibre papers of choice. It might be a case of making my own paper at some stage, buy we'll see. Maybe experimenting with carbon printing–a completely different process, I know–is in my future. That long tonal range it affords might be analogous in some way, while at the same time offering other interesting qualities... Who knows...

Denise, what is your favorite paper to use with your silver chloride and chloride-bromide emulsions?

I recently purchased your book and plant to start down this path very soon.

I thought I would ask about your current favorite paper in case your opinion has changed since the production of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    To that list I'll throw in handmade silver chloride paper (and chloride-bromide paper), arguably the newest "alt" process. However. I'll also second the suggestion of contact printing on Ilford Multigrade. Flexible, easy, and lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Sal:

You're showing your age with this one... :-)

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”