Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilford Galerie Fiber dev'd w/ Ansco 130, Neutol WA, or Dektol, thoughts?

Ilford Galerie Fiber dev'd w/ Ansco 130, Neutol WA, or Dektol, thoughts?

Just curious if anyone has comments on the tonality, color, or whatever of Ilford Galerie (G2 or 3) in either Ansco 130, Neutol WA, or Dektol?

I'm giving Galerie a try to see how I like it. I have never used a graded paper before. These are the 3 developers I have on hand - though I would consider something else if it's imperative.

Of course I'll try a variety of things but just thought I would ask.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Ilford Galerie Fiber dev'd w/ Ansco 130, Neutol WA, or Dektol, thoughts?

Expose the same negative on each and see which you like.

Yes, I know...just curious to hear other's thoughts and experience.

It may be more beneficial to make a scientific guess at the expected outcomes and then determine if you achieve the expected results.
    I would expect that the Neutol WA will produce a flatter/warmer image than the other two - unless you expose longer and/or develop longer.
    Never used the Ansco 130 but I would expect it to be deeper blacks.
    I hate dektol. Not because of its tonality but because of its short lifespan .

While you are at it - Try split developing - 1/3 time in cold developer (or until blacks form) + rinse + time in warm developer to completion.
    and other way around. Note its effect on midtones.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I use Ilford Galerie paper- digital paper but basically a grade 4 and I have used dectol and the Ilford Multigrade I like them both..

Thanks Eric. I did think that Neutol WA was a softer contrast developer when I've used it. So normally that can be easily compensated with a higher filter, but does developing graded papers longer just increase the contrast? Also, your cold/warm dev idea is interesting. I have not heard of that. What effect does temperature have other than slower/faster dev time? I very rarely check temps on my paper developer. Right now in the basement it's probably mid 60s or lower due to the outside temps.

As for Dektol...it leaves me cold, and I'm not talking about the paper tone. It works fine I guess for Ilford MGIV but doesn't excite me. I generally don't have any qualms with its shelf life but actually last night I went to print some contact prints and it had died out of no where. That's usually how it goes - sudden death, no warning. On the other hand, Neutol is only good for maybe 2-3 days tops, if even that. Probably more like one print session. And it's expensive, even diluted at the higher dilutions.

I LOVE Ansco 130 with Ilford Warmtone. I am interested to see if either that or Neutol WA makes a really significantly warm/brown image on the Galerie paper.

I am surprised that two of the developers that I have used for the last 27 years leave you cold, are you maybe looking for a silver bullet here??

A good friend and mentor of mine pretty much only uses Dektol. I can't fault him for it and the prints looks good. Yes, there's always an element of "silver bullet" searching I suppose but I do love to try different things. It's fun. I do absolutely think my prints with Ilford Warmtone dev'd in Ansco 130 look objectively "better" than my Ilford MGIV dev'd in Dektol. There's clearly a difference. Also MGIV + Dektol is definitely a bit on the cool side in paper tone. Neutol WA gives it a bit more neutrality. Of course all this is meaningless since MGIV isn't made anymore, but I haven't used any Classic to compare (I have two boxes on the shelf though once I finish up this last box of MGIV).

Do you think Dektol is just the perfect paper developer? Do you think there is nothing better?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    ...I am interested to see if...Neutol WA makes a really significantly warm/brown image on the Galerie paper.
    Absent a selenium dunk, Galerie processed in Neutol WA will result in image tone with just a hint of warmth, accompanied by the usual slight green tinge.

I do usually tone with selenium, but not to completion.

When you say "usual green tinge," what does that mean? I do not want green. Which part causes green tinges?