View Poll Results: Self-published v. traditionally published book. Do you feel... ?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • more respect for self-published book than traditionally published book

7 8.05%
  • less respect for self-published book than traditionally published book

22 25.29%
  • equal respect for self-published book and traditionally published book

40 45.98%
  • more likely to buy self-published book than traditionally published book

4 4.60%
  • less likely to buy self-published book than traditionally published book

15 17.24%
  • equally likely to buy self-published book and traditionally published book

41 47.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Perception of self-publishing v. publishing

Re: Perception of self-publishing v. publishing

I have a pretty large photo book library, by my wife's standards :-). Every single one was bought because I was first aware of the photographer's work, then went to find a book with his photos. Though it didn't matter who printed the book, the first source I go to is always Amazon, so I would place the vendor higher on my list than the production source. And if you aren't aware of it, it is possible for individuals to place their work directly on Amazon.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I voted then realized I really don't know the difference. Could someone explain? Are self-published on Amazon? How would a buyer know which is which? Does the company that actually prints the book matter?

Tuan, I've reached a point in life where "stuff" owns me, and I'd like to shed much of it. Treasured Lands is the only physical book I've purchased in years, and that was (enthusiastically) done out of gratitude for your founding and keeping alive this free Web site over decades. In other words, while I voted "equal respect" and "equally likely," I'm not a very good source for useful marketing information.
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 12-Nov-2017 at 13:27.

I use Abe's as often as I can. They represent many bookstores worldwide. https://www.abebooks.com/?&cm_mmc=gg...oaAoyhEALw_wcB

They will also search and report as your desire appears on market. Very handy when they present all available at extremely variable pricing.

Ah, it depends.

Yes, generally so however... if you spend any time around the book world you find out quickly that regardless of an artists status they still have to plop down a huge chunk of cash for their book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will confess to having made a few photobooks to order for clients.

Editions of 1,2,3...for other media artists to use as a carried book for sales of their art, fashion, stuff.

The books sell their art.

I don't understand the phrase "self-publish". My immediate reaction is negative because I think of poorly bound photocopies from the local copy store. But it could as easily mean exquisite reproductions in a carefully made binding with nothing left to chance. So for the sake of this thread, could the OP please establish a definition of "self-publishing"?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    I don't understand the phrase "self-publish". My immediate reaction is negative because I think of poorly bound photocopies from the local copy store. But it could as easily mean exquisite reproductions in a carefully made binding with nothing left to chance. So for the sake of this thread, could the OP please establish a definition of "self-publishing"?
    Thank you.
    Self publishing means you lose the perks of working with a publisher... book design, layout, someone as a representative on press , etc etc etc

It's going at it all alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan, Will, see clarification on OP. Self-published can easily be on Amazon. In general it is not possible to identify the printing company.

Nothing prevents a self-publisher from hiring a book designer or someone to go on press for them, etc..

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

So many grey areas...

When Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee publish their own work through Lodima Press, which they own but often publish other photographers through, is that self-publishing?

If an author publishes through a Vanity Press, paying all the costs and a fee up front, is that being published traditionally?

It's the work itself, the editing and sequencing, the quality of the printing and binding, etc. that make or break a book. But those published traditionally are often less expensive and more widely known and available. But I recently bought Alex Timmerman's self published Storytelling book, and couldn't think higher of it.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."