Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: help choosing an 8x10

Re: help choosing an 8x10

Is the US thread the same as the standard tripod threads? I have an idea that the tripod is a standard 1/4 or 3/8 Whitworth, where the nearest equivalent US threads would be UNC? My thought would be 'fits but not quite right'.

Life would be so much easier if everything were metric, but I guess it's too late for that...

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    Hi Steven, I'm glad you said this. I was thinking that the bracing would be better on both sides of the camera. I was very disappointed with what I got for the money in all honesty. It seems to make some marginal difference but nothing close to the manfrotto tripod support.

Could you post a picture of your original fittings?

Many thanks,
    Gareth
    Here are two of my 18x24cm tailboard cameras with the original (extra equipment!) mounted. Originally these were supplied with bronze rods. I have experimented with both new bronze rods and with aluminium hollow rods -which work just as well and are easily availble in the right (metric) size. To be effective, the front standard has to be the same width as the the rear standard, unless you can design some kind of universal joint!

I can see that that a good many of my UK cameras could also accept these fittings, although I have never seen them mounted.
    The shown fitments are on both sides of the standards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by barnacle View Post
    Is the US thread the same as the standard tripod threads? I have an idea that the tripod is a standard 1/4 or 3/8 Whitworth, where the nearest equivalent US threads would be UNC? My thought would be 'fits but not quite right'.

Life would be so much easier if everything were metric, but I guess it's too late for that...

Neil
    The American ASA specification published in 1952 for 1/4 and 3/8 tripod screws was for UNC-1A threads. If England specified Whitworth threads, us photographers might never notice.

Thanks, that's great.

So if I bought another wind stabilizer *groan* and attached them either side it would work much better like this? Maybe there is a way of making one a lot cheaper.

best,
    Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman View Post
    Thanks, that's great.

So if I bought another wind stabilizer *groan* and attached them either side it would work much better like this? Maybe there is a way of making one a lot cheaper.

best,
    Gareth
    To cut down on wind you can also sometimes shoot from inside a tent or possibly even the back of your vehicle if you own an suv or van. I've never done it but I have seen pictures of photographers in wide open spaces doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The American ASA specification published in 1952 for 1/4 and 3/8 tripod screws was for UNC-1A threads. If England specified Whitworth threads, us photographers might never notice.
    I think the BSP specified Whitworth, but I don't know when. The difference in the thread forms is tiny. As you said, perhaps a difference without a distinction for all practical purposes.

Neil