Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Ebay - lenses from Japan

Re: Ebay - lenses from Japan

Yes, Bultaco Sherpa, my first ride on it was a revelation, I could ride around a telephone pole in a ditch easily with my feet up. A '66. I had in it '69.

I wanted a Metralla but never found one.

Don't get me going, I talk bikes all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    The Bultaco also ?

Only a brave comanche can ride a wild Bultaco
    sin eater

Interesting comments about mold smell on Japanese goods. I've bought about 2 dozen items (large and small) from Japan in the last year and never had that problem. The only place I've gotten several horribly stinky items from is Florida.

Regarding tariffs and duties: In the U.S. if the customs form says "used" there's no charge. On the other hand, I've bought new items (watches) from Europe and it was something like 12%, plus UPS and Fedex add their own charges for walking it through customs. National mail services do not.

Quote Originally Posted by SParis View Post
    Interesting comments about mold smell on Japanese goods. I've bought about 2 dozen items (large and small) from Japan in the last year and never had that problem. The only place I've gotten several horribly stinky items from is Florida.

Regarding tariffs and duties: In the U.S. if the customs form says "used" there's no charge. On the other hand, I've bought new items (watches) from Europe and it was something like 12%, plus UPS and Fedex add their own charges for walking it through customs. National mail services do not.
    It can be that I got very unlucky. My success rate so far is 1/4. The main risk factor for me is that I have never gotten the tax back and everything entering the EU is taxed on the sales price, used or not. This is why I like eBay and Amazon global shipping. It takes significant risk out of the deal for me. Of course I will return the item when it is faulty regardless of this issue. It is just a huge extra expense for me.

I have always had excellent item quality & fantastic service from Japan - cameras, lenses, film holders - all great. One bit of (possibly urban mythology) is that if it comes into the USA via the postal service (Japan EMS-to-USPS) there's no duties, no hassle. Supposedly if it's coming in by courier/carrier the US Customs may pay closer attention. Also (supposedly) used goods are of less interest than new ones. Heard the same thing about receiving things from Canada. Post Canada-to-USPS has never been a problem.--alfredian