Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebay - lenses from Japan

Dave Karp

Re: Ebay - lenses from Japan

All of the lenses I purchased from Japan shipped via EMS. All went smoothly. Never any additional fees.

eat
    Last edited by asf; 17-Oct-2021 at 12:24.

As I shop lenses intensely on ebay every night, I realize that seeing “Exc+++” in an eBay listing title may be meaningless. The lens may even have some spots of fungus when you read the description. Even a “Near Mint” Horseman field camera on eBay from Japan, a fellow forum member pointed out that the hand strap was missing, and folding back was not Horseman-brand, and as the seller revealed — the logo which releases the top for greater movements — was cracked and glued. So much for “Near Mint.” Caveat emptor applies.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Dave Karp

All the more reason to deal with Kumar.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    During 3 business trips over the years to the Yokohama area, and one vacation of 2+ weeks with my wife across several cities and parts of Japan, I saw hundreds and hundreds of bicycles being used and parked wherever. But I never saw a bicycle lock!
    The locks are built-in on most city/utilitarian bikes in Japan -- no extra locks needed. They look a little like caliper brakes...on front or rear tires. The key stays in the lock until one locks it. My son had his bike stolen in Kyoto recently when he did not lock it. He bought another used bike -- I had fun riding it around Kyoto for a week...a very big bike-city! Except in the inner few blocks of the city, everyone rode on the sidewalks -- how the Japanese get that to work is the big mystery! We also rented bikes a few times when we traveled south...only one that really fit me (6'3"). So it goes.

In Kyoto I went into the camera store -- 5 or six floors of extreme busy-ness! In all that space, roll film was about 2 linear meters of shelf space. Fuji Acros 120 for about $5 each (bought two 5-packs, and a couple rolls of Ilford Delta400...$10 each). I should have bought a few boxes of 8x10 Acros, but could not haul them around with me.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I purchased a 180 some time back marked as ‘like new’. If anything it was ‘beyond’ new in condition. I’ve never seen such a clean lens and functional shutter.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Agreed. To have a proven resource on the ground in Japan is a great advantage. Kumar is currently searching for camera and lense for me. Horseman FA, quality 120mm-ish lens, & tele extension board. This is the first time I am dealing with him but he has a good reputation here and very responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    All the more reason to deal with Kumar.
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Here is a current “Exc+++” rated lens on Bay this morning:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4887A81-DBB9-46FC-814D-69814CF349EE.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	173312
    Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    I purchased a 180 some time back marked as ‘like new’. If anything it was ‘beyond’ new in condition. I’ve never seen such a clean lens and functional shutter.
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    As I shop lenses intensely on ebay every night, I realize that seeing “Exc+++” in an eBay listing title may be meaningless...
    I too have been looking at every eBay "Large Format" and "Large Format Lenses" new listing daily for nearly two decades. Japanese sellers' descriptions of "Mint" are even more meaningless. I don't believe this is intentional misrepresentation, however. The listings usually go on to enumerate defects of each sample.

My suspicion is that sellers in Japan are culturally predisposed to employ glowing condition rating words as marketing aids to attract ad readers, believing that their subsequent disclosure of defects is how potential buyers learn items' true conditions. This might also be a language/translation issue. In any case, i suggest bypassing offerings that don't include numerous, detailed pictures showing every part of the product. As well as a generous refund policy.

The most valuable thing to have when buying used lenses from Japan is liquid chlorine bleach. High humidity there means I've never purchased one that didn't reek of mildew. Removing front and rear cells from the shutter, then wiping down all inside and outside surfaces using a soft cloth dampened with bleach (diluted 1+1 with plain water) cures the problem. That also prevents fungus from forming in the future.

I will add another data point. I received second lens from Japan and despite the seller claim it to be smell free, it smelled strongly of mold.

So 3 out of 3 (first seller informed me before the purchase about the smell issue) times the items from Japan have a mold issue.