Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5X7 Macro - 180mm Componon-S Reversed?

Re: 5X7 Macro - 180mm Componon-S Reversed?

Not at 1:1. Please respond to what I wrote --I did that -- not to what you want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Not at 1:1. Please respond to what I wrote --I did that -- not to what you want to believe.
    Dan, you are right, the 46º the EL 50mm does not cover 45 format at 1:1 it has to be a greater magnification...

I'll try to calculate at what magnification 50mm/46º cover 57 format...

Am thinking more along the lines of 3D subjects in the range of 1/4 to 1/2 life-size, and for this I can mount the lens directly (without spacer) into the #1 Copal shutter which currently houses my 210 Sironar-N (verified this by comparing front to rear lens spacing with calipers).

As for 50(ish) lenses for L.F. macro work - here is a much larger than life-size image I made many years ago (watch movement floating on aluminum powder sprinkled on water in paper cup)...taken with the still-amazing 55mm f/3.5 micro-nikkor - reversed via a filter ring glued to a square of masonite and mounted to my 4x5 Crown Graphic - side lit with desk lamp - "exposure by light switch" method: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watch Movement.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	172063

....and many thanks for all the great replies! I will report back soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

After calculating it, if I made no mistake, reversed EL Nikkor 50mm should cover 5x7" film at 3.91 : 1 magnification. Of course you were right and I was wrong...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	__.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	172064

Think making a 5x7 or much larger print from 35mm film, except reversed. "Coverage" is NOT an issue depends on magnification-reproduction ratio.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Am thinking more along the lines of 3D subjects in the range of 1/4 to 1/2 life-size, and for this I can mount the lens directly (without spacer) into the #1 Copal shutter which currently houses my 210 Sironar-N (verified this by comparing front to rear lens spacing with calipers).
    John, before we all go farther into fantasyland, take a look at y'r Copal #1. I think you'll find that the front tube is threaded internally M40x0.75 and that the rear tube is threaded internally M36x0.75. You can certainly attach the shutter to the lens board of your choice, it has mounting threads for the purpose. Even better, according to Schneider, y'r 180/5.6 Componon-S cells are direct fits in a #1.

Fine, wonderful. Now tell us how you're going to swap the cells front to back or mount the shutter with lens backwards on a board. No need to tell me that I'm not a nice person, we already know that.

.....just like I did back in the day with the Micro-Nikkor (see above) - by gluing a filter ring into a masonite lens board and the lens/shutter hangs backwards off of this. And hey...you can't fool us...we know that you're nice!

Thanks, John. Crude, but it works. FWIW, I've done worse.

John, I've got a 240 Componon-S that came factory mounted in a Compur 3 shutter. I bought it for 8x10, but I've yet to used it. Schneider did supply shutter mounted Componon-S lenses, so I can believe that the 180 may be a direct fit into a No. 1 shutter. The brochure I have from the 1980's says that "shutter mounted, Componon-S make great close-up lenses because of the flatness of field."