Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightroom or alternative

Re: Lightroom or alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    for £10/month which is something I would prefer not to do.

At Ebay you can buy Photoshop CS4 Extended license for some $20, and no subscription cost. I don't find CS4 is a limitation compared to CS6 or CC, at all.

Lightroom is more intuitive... but PS is powerful. Then just buy a CS4 bible book with advanced examples, also very cheap, and learn all, read every corner "with a magnifier" twice. If you like images then any time investment in PS is pure gold that will be worth for you for ever.

PS contains a lot of features that will open your mind. Completely worth.

Understand me, I don't like at all to be digitally intrusive in my analog shots, but knowing from alfa to omega all PS it empowers your total control. Then it's up to you to use that power for creative digital edition or to bring an analog capture to it's best without being intrusive aganist authenticity. Knowing all PS allows also that: total control without being intrusive.

Another approach is GIMP, for free.

Just IMHO.

Regards

One big disadvantage with subscription Adobe is that a computer that does not go online can't run the software. If you are not hooked up to the Internet it can't communicate with Adobe and will stop working after a short time.
    Per three friends who work for the company one big reason they changed to subscription is because they believe many of the users are thieves - using the programs without actually buying them. Subscription takes care of that problem for them.
    Check out the alternatives and pick one or get Photoshop CS6 or older or Lightroom on the CD. Then you don't have to pay and pay and pay and pay...
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Interestingly, Mike Johnston (The Online Photographer) just opened a discussion on this on his blog.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...log_index.html (See the posting for Sat Nov 4th.).

There's lots of interesting views but in my case, I haven't been able to find an editor that specifically offers Greyscale Management other than Photoshop. The rest of the editors all offer Colour Management but that's not the same. If anyone knows of another editor that does, please let me know.

Regards
    Dave

Viewscan is cheap scanning software that works with just about any scanner. Not as powerful as SilverFast but far easier to learn the workflow. Photoshop (an old version like CS4 is fine) is a must for cleaning up dust from the negative. Pop in free Nik collection plugins in the plugin folder and you have an amazing tool. Lightroom is great for managing thousands of digital images and doing basic image processing but lacks the key tools for dust management so it’s not worth it to use for LF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lightroom or alternative

Consider making digital negatives on Pictorico by enlarging scans in Photoshop applying curves for silver or platinum etc and contact printing. Reduces equipment needed and you can wet print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Time to download Nick Collection...

Google sold it to DXO. It might not be available for long...

http://https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

J

Due to the time difference it seems I have a large amount of replies to work through for which I thank you all.

Drew Saunder: Due to cost I mainly shoot FP4+ so not having greyscale is, I guess, a deal breaker for anything that can't handle it. File sizes for a 10x8 black and white from the Howtek can be 1.1Gb when I scan at 4000dpi. I do have a box of Provia 100 which I will be limited to scan at 2000dpi but that will generate files approaching 2Gb so these programs will have to be able to handle these huge files. Free trial and then chuck a big file at it seems to be the way to go whatever the program.

Winger: Maybe I misunderstood but I thought that LR dodged and burned whilst PS altered the image subject (made fat girls thin etc.)

Jim Andrada: The only viable option may be to subscribe but I need to understand things first

Ventdesable: Never ever will I be shooting hundreds of thousand, not even thousands, and possibly not several hundred 10x8s but dust removal would be an advantage. I scan in tiff as the Aurora scan software only outputs in TIF or EPS. I do have a number of 5x4 velvia transparencies from several years ago and will be shooting at least one box of Provia and maybe some Velvia from our friend in Japan when funds allow. Your summary is to forget LR as it is too focused on digital and go for PS CS6 which is better for my film only interest?

JE Simmons: So I've heard but the price is too expensive for me comparing to LR/PS

will have to post these replies to "page 1" posts. Replies to page 2 shortly

Pere Casals: I like your phrase "digitally intrusive" which is exactly what I want to avoid. I know by taking this approach I am always likely to be disappointed with my images but, hopefully, I will learn and improve a little at a time. Wise words about mastering the chosen tool which i will endeavour to do once we decide which way to go

Willie: I don't have iTunes, Spotify, and don't subscribe to cable or satellite tv. Heck, I don't even own a mobile phone (honest) so it is completely outside of my nature to subscribe to a rental program for a computer program. Maybe it's my age as my daughter doesn't understand the concept of purchasing a physical music recording on CD etc

DHodson: Not the only one then who is uncomfortable with the situation, but greyscale is where i am usually found so if that rules out all the alternatives then this thread has been worth it. Worryingly, until reading through the replies i never even considered that greyscale was not part of all photo programs arsenal but it just shows what a Luddite i am

AngusParker: I can't see on the Howtek on the Viewscan list of supported scanners. Another vote for PS for dust removal. "LR not worth it for use on LF" - noted. Digital negatives sounds interesting as a nice to have extra within the program i decide upon.

Ventdesable: Not sure what Nik is but I've taken your advice and downloaded it!

So, what I need:
    Dodge and burn
    Dust removal
    Tone and tint (yes this is a new nice to have)
    Work with files up to 2Gb
    Greyscale for black and white
    Can deal with TIFF
    No need for continual upgrade to match RAW files for yet-to-be-released cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    No need for continual upgrade to match RAW files for yet-to-be-released cameras
    All software needs to be upgraded to handle new RAW files.