Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lightroom or alternative

Re: Lightroom or alternative

Use Vuescan for digitizing your images, and for plain and simple image editing PhotoLine or Affinity. It works. However, Affinity Photo currently features a bug for printing, so currently PhotoLine is - in my opinion - a good and rock solid editor.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    Use Vuescan for digitizing your images, and for plain and simple image editing PhotoLine or Affinity. It works. However, Affinity Photo currently features a bug for printing, so currently PhotoLine is - in my opinion - a good and rock solid editor.
    I don't think Viewscan supports the Howtek scanner

Nope. Sorry, but I read just the first page of this thread, and the OP did not mention having a Howtek.

However, usually these scanners came with a proprietary software - so why not use it maybe with an old system, which is connected via LAN to the machine with the image editor?

I am the OP and did mention the Howtek on the very first post but you must have missed it

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Ari: You use both LR and PS and swap between the two for different functions? I ask as you appear to dodge & burn within LR but Ventesable suggests it can be done in PS. Do I need both? I can actually do image correction in the Aurora scanner software but kind of didn't consider it because of the age (I know that probably sounds silly) so that is another option.
    Sweep, I use PS and LR to do different things because each software has its strengths and weaknesses in different areas. I worked out a method of using both for different functions after a lot of trial and error.
    The spotting tool in PS is vastly superior to the one in LR; the dodge/burn tool is faster and easier to use in LR.
    Both can do just about anything you want, but by trying each of them I can play to each program's strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Tonyowen: I'm going to give CS2 a go because it's free and I have nothing to lose. I guess it was a typo when you wrote "you need an access code" or do I actually need one?Attachment 171809
    By access code I mean/meant the 24-numeric code that allows you to access CS2. Don't know why you go to the pop-up to buy the latest version - mine does not. Suggest that maybe you've ticked a box that permits this. If necessary, unload the program and reinstall to see if you had missed or misunderstood one of the many options.
    regards
    Tony

Sweep - Update,
    it appears that the 'legally free CS2' has been discontinued by Adobe.
    However, if you send me a PM with an email address I'm quite happy to send you a copy of the CS2 setup file I downloaded from the Adobe site.
    No guarantee that it will work even though mine is dated March 2016.
    regards
    Tony

Well... a quick search on google gave this link http://https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2213295 on Adobe's forum. Second and third answers link you to the download page. You will probably have to connect to your adobe's acount (or create one) witch is by no means important. And you'll be driven to the rightfull page where you'll find all what you need.

Writing those lines took me a lot more time than it took to find back the links ;-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CS2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	171911

On the right colomn you'll find the serial number attached to it. Easy.

Jérôme

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    Phase One’s Capture One is well worth looking at. I think the raw converter and controls are easier to use than Lightroom’s. The company has lots of very good tutorial videos on YouTube.
    I am in the process of Learning Capture One as a lot of my clients are using Phase, and from what I understand the software would be interesting for me as it separates the Luminance Channel from the colour channels, I have been working with LAB for over 12 years now so I think I am going to give this program a run for its money.

I do a lot of BW conversions, BW Separations and a lot of channel mixing to make negatives so my goal is to see how Capture One can work seamlessly with PhotoShop. I absolutely hate Lightroom and from what I am being told Capture One is much better to do the things that I do with Lightroom.

Thanks to the guidance of you all, and in particular TonyOwen and Ventdesable, I have managed to download a copy of PS CS2.
    This should get me a little closer to an actual printed image although I did nearly weep in frustration when the program notes advised it would grey-out the printer tab for any image with greater than 30,000 x 30,000 pixels.
    I can see now that actually getting the program is only the beginning of the story as there is tons to learn to make a good looking image. YouTube here we come!