Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fujinon W f6.5 360mm vs Nikkor W f6.5 360mm

Re: Fujinon W f6.5 360mm vs Nikkor W f6.5 360mm

[QUOTE=Sweep; i ended up buying a Nikkor W f6.5 360mm. Wow, this thing is a beast and i can't wait to try it out.
    thanks ...Sweep[/QUOTE]

How are you liking the Nikon Nikkor W f/6.5 360mm? Has it produced sharp and contrasty negatives for you? Any input on this lens would be greatly appreciated as I am debating on getting one. Many Thanks!

Drew Wiley

Excuse a pun, but isn't this kinda like comparing a Fuji apple to a Honeycrisp apple?

New Orleans, LA

Not a common lens but I found a 360mm Commercial Congo that is small and light, relative to the plasmats. Takes 67mm filters and is in a Copal shutter. Essentially, a modern version of the 14" KCE. My 2nd favorite lens on 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by zbvision View Post
    How are you liking the Nikon Nikkor W f/6.5 360mm? Has it produced sharp and contrasty negatives for you? Any input on this lens would be greatly appreciated as I am debating on getting one. Many Thanks!
    I have used it with great results for portraits but seem never to get a suitable landscape composition for it. Unfortunately, the opportunities I get for people are not as frequent as those in the landscape.
    I am happy with it but it doesn't get the use I had hoped it would.
    I will try get a image loaded up for you tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    I have used it with great results for portraits but seem never to get a suitable landscape composition for it. Unfortunately, the opportunities I get for people are not as frequent as those in the landscape.
    I am happy with it but it doesn't get the use I had hoped it would.
    I will try get a image loaded up for you tomorrow
    If you potentially have the time to upload both a portrait and landscape image taken with the Nikon Nikkor W 360mm f/6.5 lens then that would be truly appreciated! I've been caught at somewhat of an impasse in regards to making the jump from 4x5 to 8x10 solely because I've been debating on purchasing one of the these two lenses: a Fujinon CM-W 360mm f/6.5 or the Nikon Nikkor W 360mm f/6.5. Trying to decide whether the Nikon is worth the extra weight as I'm hardly ever in a studio type setting. I tend to photograph out in the world more than in a controlled environment, which is why I recently acquired a Deardorff v8 Field Camera. I do take just as many portraits as I do landscapes.

zbvision, I have not used either of the two lenses mentioned here. I have used other nikon and Fuji large-format lenses, some of them for decades. Both brands provide superb, top-quality optics. I'll say that even the most discerning observer would have trouble telling which lens was which, when viewing prints from negatives made under similar circumstance. You can't go wrong with either one- buy on price and condition. Any slight difference in weight between the two brands will be insignificant compared to the total weight of a Deardorff field kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    zbvision, I have not used either of the two lenses mentioned here. I have used other nikon and Fuji large-format lenses, some of them for decades. Both brands provide superb, top-quality optics. I'll say that even the most discerning observer would have trouble telling which lens was which, when viewing prints from negatives made under similar circumstance. You can't go wrong with either one- buy on price and condition. Any slight difference in weight between the two brands will be insignificant compared to the total weight of a Deardorff field kit.
    Completely agree with Mark. I recall my final decision was based on condition and, curiously, the aesthetics of the lens as the Nikkor's tended to have the later all black shutter fitted. And yes, the additional weight is noticeable in my rucksack (Mindshift FirstLight 40L) to a point that I sometimes question the logic of carrying the 360mm as I tend to always use my Schneider 240mm for landscapes