Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ULF film stock

ULF film stock

So, I'm still obsessing over ULF cameras but wondering what the reality is with regards to finding film... I know that Ilford / Kodak offer the ULF on special order once a year, but does any store out there try and keep certain sheet sizes in stock? Specifically, I'm interested in 11x14" black and white film. It seems that this size is the most popular ULF size, so maybe some specialty stores order some for stock?

As an aside, is Kodak only offering T-Max 100 in 8x10" sheet sizes by special order once a year now? I can only see Tri-X and Tmax 400 in stock anywhere, with B&H stating that T-Max 100 in 8x10" has been discontinued.

This is all part of my ongoing reserach on which format I actually want. 11x14" has the vote of my heart, but the more practical 8x10" has that of my head...

Re: ULF film stock

B&H has pretty consistently kept 11x14 HP5 Plus in stock, independent of the Ilford special order period. That's where I've gotten mine. A quick check now shows it in stock at Adorama and Freestyle as well.

The Kodak special orders aren't regularly scheduled - they occur whenever someone is able to come up with a $15,000 order, more or less. (The exact minimum has never been announced and may vary over time. But something in that general range seems to have been the requirement in recent years.) Keith Canham has been serving as an aggregator for Kodak special orders - you should watch his Facebook page if you'd like to know what he has cooking at any given time.

Thanks! Yes, I see it now. I like HP5, so that's good to know. Man, I'm becomming more obsessed by the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    B&H has pretty consistently kept 11x14 HP5 Plus in stock, independent of the Ilford special order period. That's where I've gotten mine. A quick check now shows it in stock at Adorama and Freestyle as well.

The Kodak special orders aren't regularly scheduled - they occur whenever someone is able to come up with a $15,000 order, more or less. Keith Canham has been serving as an aggregator for Kodak special orders - you should watch his Facebook page if you'd like to know what he has cooking at any given time.

Happy obsessing!

Curious, why do you want to shoot ULF?

Tim, have you considered learning wet plate collodion? I've been learning to make my own glass negatives, and I can assure you, its a lot of fun, and very rewarding. It also frees you from relying on a film manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    Read this thread, no need to make Tim go through all of that again:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-in-11x14-quot

Zebra

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35F17226-EFFC-40F4-BFD8-A9E1AB1E4356.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	172115
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    From a 16 x 20 reducing back for my 20 x 24. Pt/Pd contact print.

The fence is overpopulated.

Get obsessed stay obsessed! The head gets overworked in all the other areas of our life. Tim give the heart some love!!!!

Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35F17226-EFFC-40F4-BFD8-A9E1AB1E4356.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	172115

From a 16 x 20 reducing back for my 20 x 24. Pt/Pd contact print.

The fence is overpopulated.

Get obsessed stay obsessed! The head gets overworked in all the other areas of our life. Tim give the heart some love!!!!

Monty.
    Always great to see your work. What film?

Zebra

I do the annual FP4 run from Ilford. I also have some HP5 but the overwhelming majority of my work is FP4. Bought the freezer to store it in too! Yes you will have to buy the bigger trays, take out a wall to put in a bigger sink, buy a semi truck to haul your brand new Godzilla tri-pod, take out a small business loan to get that extra film holder, work the third job at Sears photorama taking pictures of mewling babies to pay for it all—its still worth it!

Thank you Carl for the kind words. I hope I didn’t hijack Tim’s thread by posting the picture. Thought I would poke fun at my own lunacy for having a 16 x 20 reducing back—I mean what kind of stupidity is that!!! Tim you’re still on solid mental ground! It’s worth all the effort and extra effort/money to enjoy something that isn’t quite logical. At least it has been to me and my mental health. Heart Heart Heart.

go for it Tim!!!

Monty