Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do I really need a second lens for 8x10

Re: Do I really need a second lens for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Please can you try and help me understand that statement ?

Neil
    Sure. The image circle for a lens is listed for infinity, but the image circle INCREASES as you focus away from infinity -- AKA, the subject is closer to the lens/film. So a lens designed for a smaller format will cover a larger format -- if the subject is close enough. Check out:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/

I use microscope lenses on my 4x5 cameras because the subject is so close to the lens.

I own 250mm, 14" (about 360mm) and 16" (about 480mm) lenses. So mild wide, normal and mild long lenses.

I could probably get by with just the 14" normal focal length. There is nothing wrong with that if it's what you want to do.

Apparently Paul Strand only used 1 lens, the same lens on both 5x7 and 8x10 too. I have too many lenses myself and most often use the same focal length again and again. We are spoiled in our prosperous lives and I am certain that more choices limits creativity. Less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    We are spoiled in our prosperous lives and I am certain that more choices limits creativity.
    That is certainly true.

One multi-week assignment that we gave everyone at the photo school was go take a 35mm camera out with only one lens, or a zoom lens taped to a single focal length. Take all shots at that FL and present them for discussion.

Some students really enjoyed this limitation, others hated it.
    I suppose it's all in how you view the world through the viewfinder.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I have a Zeiss 590mm Apo Planar, and a 600mm Apo Ronar, and they are both great lenses for 8x10 tight headshots.
    But that's on Sinar Normas and bellows draw is never an issue
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Lenses are like beer. No, you don't need another one. Unless you're a lensoholic, and then, yeah, you need another, and another, and another...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

LOL... that's funny, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Sure. The image circle for a lens is listed for infinity, but the image circle INCREASES as you focus away from infinity ...
    I used a Fuji W 250/6.7 on my 11x14 the other day. No movements, focused a little closer than infinity, and closed down to f64. Lost the image in a couple corners, but now I know I can use it for close-ups.

With 8x10 I used just a 300mm lens (Fuji W 300/5.6) for years. No portraits, though. I have several more lenses now...Fuji W 250/6.7 and Fuji W 360/6.3 in shutters (handy for portraits and out in the sunlight) and several process lens w/o shutters (great under the redwoods -- 210mm and two RD Artars -- 19" and 24"). Unless I have a particular image in mind, I tend to stick the shuttered lenses in my pack.

If I took just one, I would take the 250mm for tight places, the 300mm for walks in the woods, and perhaps the 360mm for wide open places...but just the 300mm for a mix of everything.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China