Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do I really need a second lens for 8x10

Re: Do I really need a second lens for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    Please can you try and help me understand that statement ?

Neil
    Sure. The image circle for a lens is listed for infinity, but the image circle INCREASES as you focus away from infinity -- AKA, the subject is closer to the lens/film. So a lens designed for a smaller format will cover a larger format -- if the subject is close enough. Check out:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/

I use microscope lenses on my 4x5 cameras because the subject is so close to the lens.

I own 250mm, 14" (about 360mm) and 16" (about 480mm) lenses. So mild wide, normal and mild long lenses.

I could probably get by with just the 14" normal focal length. There is nothing wrong with that if it's what you want to do.

Apparently Paul Strand only used 1 lens, the same lens on both 5x7 and 8x10 too. I have too many lenses myself and most often use the same focal length again and again. We are spoiled in our prosperous lives and I am certain that more choices limits creativity. Less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    We are spoiled in our prosperous lives and I am certain that more choices limits creativity.
    That is certainly true.

One multi-week assignment that we gave everyone at the photo school was go take a 35mm camera out with only one lens, or a zoom lens taped to a single focal length. Take all shots at that FL and present them for discussion.

Some students really enjoyed this limitation, others hated it.
    I suppose it's all in how you view the world through the viewfinder.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I have a Zeiss 590mm Apo Planar, and a 600mm Apo Ronar, and they are both great lenses for 8x10 tight headshots.
    But that's on Sinar Normas and bellows draw is never an issue
    “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Eastern Seaboard Blues again...

Lenses are like beer. No, you don't need another one. Unless you're a lensoholic, and then, yeah, you need another, and another, and another...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

LOL... that's funny, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Sure. The image circle for a lens is listed for infinity, but the image circle INCREASES as you focus away from infinity ...
    I used a Fuji W 250/6.7 on my 11x14 the other day. No movements, focused a little closer than infinity, and closed down to f64. Lost the image in a couple corners, but now I know I can use it for close-ups.

With 8x10 I used just a 300mm lens (Fuji W 300/5.6) for years. No portraits, though. I have several more lenses now...Fuji W 250/6.7 and Fuji W 360/6.3 in shutters (handy for portraits and out in the sunlight) and several process lens w/o shutters (great under the redwoods -- 210mm and two RD Artars -- 19" and 24"). Unless I have a particular image in mind, I tend to stick the shuttered lenses in my pack.

If I took just one, I would take the 250mm for tight places, the 300mm for walks in the woods, and perhaps the 360mm for wide open places...but just the 300mm for a mix of everything.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China