Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need a second lens for 8x10

Do I really need a second lens for 8x10

I currently own a Chamonix 8x10 with one lens and a Chamonix 45N2 with 3 lenses. My question is am I missing out by only having one lens for my 8x10 its the Kowa Graphic 360mm.........I love that lens

Since starting shooting LF with my 8x10 I am mainly shooting landscape and portraiture............I find that lens works perfect for both

Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Re: Do I really need a second lens for 8x10

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Maybe the Shadow can provide an answer.

I like lots of options but some are very happy with one lens.

If you're happy with one lens, then continue on creating wonderful images. For me, though I have several lenses for my 8x10, my second most used lens (a 360mm being the most used) is a 240mm which provides roughly a 35mm on small format view.

Assuming that you have an 8x10 enlarger -- a BIG if -- then you can always crop, but you can't get any wider, of course.

Since you like landscapes, think about what 4x5 landscape lens you use. If it is wider than a 180mm on 4x5, then you might want something wider than your 360mm -- assuming that you don't already have a 4x5 lens that will cover 8x10 and is shorter than 360mm. Let's say you like a 125mm on 4x5, you could get a 250mm for 8x10 -- and sell your 4x5 250mm, assuming you have one.

I was thinking something in the 800mm length for head jobs as I enjoy shooting pretty models..............but have yet to find anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    If you're happy with one lens, then continue on creating wonderful images. For me, though I have several lenses for my 8x10, my second most used lens (a 360mm being the most used) is a 240mm which provides roughly a 35mm on small format view.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Assuming that you have an 8x10 enlarger -- a BIG if -- then you can always crop, but you can't get any wider, of course.

Since you like landscapes, think about what 4x5 landscape lens you use. If it is wider than a 180mm on 4x5, then you might want something wider than your 360mm -- assuming that you don't already have a 4x5 lens that will cover 8x10 and is shorter than 360mm. Let's say you like a 125mm on 4x5, you could get a 250mm for 8x10 -- and sell your 4x5 250mm, assuming you have one.
    Hello Jake
    My 4x5 lenses are 90, 210 and 360mm. I have never tried any of these lenses on my 8x10 (To be honest I didn't think they would work, but I was only guessing). I really like that close up on your face kind of pictures and on the 8x10 I can somewhat get that but I wondered what it would be like to use something at say 120mm 135 equivalent
    Here is one I posted the other day of a head and shoulders shot but would really like to get closer

On the assumption that 800mm is meant seriously, you need to play around with the focal length/magnification/image distance equations to see what will work on your camera. You might be surprised to discover that for a tight head shot, your camera bellows will be the limiting factor---if you have 800mm of bellows, an 800mm lens will be working no closer than infinity, so the model will have to be very, very pretty to make the picture worthwhile

Sounds like you are talking about something like a 400mm to 500mm. A 400mm would not be much more noticeable than a 360, so look at the 500-600mm range, but that creates a lot of issues, such as size, weight, cost, bellows extension, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold_4074 View Post
    if you have 800mm of bellows, an 800mm lens will be working no closer than infinity...
    That's not exactly correct.

The lensboard will be forward of the film by a distance equal to the Flange Focal Length of the lens.

With long lenses the FFL may be substantially less than the optical focal length.

But the general idea is correct. An 800mm lens will use up most of an 800mm bellows at infinity focus.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by ndwgolf View Post
    I currently own a Chamonix 8x10 with one lens and a Chamonix 45N2 with 3 lenses.
    My question is am I missing out by only having one lens for my 8x10 its the Kowa Graphic 360mm.........I love that lens
    Hi Neil,

This question poses two questions...
    1 - What subject matter do you expect to shoot?
    2 - How do you plan to produce prints from your 8x10 negatives?

If you have an 8x10 enlarger, the number of required focal lengths is reduced.

I'm a fanatic about getting exactly the image I want on the film, no more, no less. Consequently I have about 20 different lenses for my 4x5 camera. Disregarding a couple of macro lenses, these are all different focal lengths.

The wide assortment is much easier than schlepping the camera/tripod all over the place to get the framing I want.

I do not have the same luxury with the 8x10.
    There are far fewer suitable lenses, and bellows length can be a limiting factor.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.