Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting 4x5 film holders in checked in luggage

Putting 4x5 film holders in checked in luggage

Guys
    I'm flying to Japan in two weeks time to shoot the autumn colors of Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. My plan is to take Leica S with three lenses and also take my new Chamonix 45n2 with 2 lenses. I have a hard case for the Leica gear that will be my hand luggage, as for the Chamonix I will have to check that in (I'm cool with that) What I am not sure about is the fact that I will be taking 12 4x5 film holders pre loaded with Ektar 100 colour film and that will also have to get checked in as the airline we are flying with will only let you hand carry one bag even in business class
    So my question is has anyone checked in Ektar film before and found that it was damaged or not??
    Thanks in advance

Neil
    Come and see what I have done up and until now at www.neilsphotography.co.uk

Re: Putting 4x5 film holders in checked in luggage

It will be damaged. Carry it or mail it ahead.

Checked baggage gets higher dose x-ray scans than carry-on bags do, so never put film in a checked bag. You could let your film holders go into checked baggage, but carry-on your film or send it ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    It will be damaged. Carry it or mail it ahead.
    Surly if you mail it it will still go through the same x-ray machines that are used to scan checked luggage??

Absolutely NO films in checked-in luggage! Put your films in carry-on luggage and ask for hand checking when going through security.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Absolutely NO films in checked-in luggage! Put your films in carry-on luggage and ask for hand checking when going through security.
    RIGHT. And NONE MAILED either. ALWAYS do carry-on and ask for hand inspection. In the USA, Federal regulations allow this, but some security clerks are not aware of this -- some have probably never heard of "film" before. If they balk, as for a supervisor. I've had problems before and ALWAYS carry a copy of the FAA rules.

In other countries? You are subject to their rules, so you should check them out beforehand. Your other option is to expose and process all of your film in the other country before you head home.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    RIGHT. And NONE MAILED either. .
    So what happens to my film that i buy from B&H in the US and have it sent to my home in Malaysia..............does that not have to go through the same x-ray machines that the mail uses??

Neil

At the Japan end, typically at Narita Airport (but I’m sure all others), the security people are familiar with hand checking film, and do it readily - with a smile in my experience. ....
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

It may or may not go through X-RAYS in this country or the other(S) it travels through. Some mark the box "PHOTOGRAPHIC FILM -- DO NOT X-RAY", and hope for the best. It's up to you if you want to take that chance!

Insisting on hand inspection of film can be risky. A low speed film like Ektar should be fine with the carry-on level of x-ray. I took color and B&W neg from the US to Scotland and back - so it went through at least 2 carry-on x-ray inspections and not a bit of a problem. Asking for hand inspections carries with it some risk, depending on the country and the individuals you are dealing with.