Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Objectification of human subjects

Re: Objectification of human subjects

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    My definition of abuse is the individual being photographed is either too young, or is tricked, or is unaware of the images taken or is somehow coerced into being photographed. There are other bad situations but those are the highlights.
    I've no argument with that definition, but more Germaine to the OP, I think, is an abusive relationship where a man has been accustomed to seeing women as a less than human "thing" a notion enforced through various media. There could be correlation between that abuse and the abuse of the man earlier being "abused" through exposure to that same causal media.
    I don't know. It could be. It is a complicated subject.

One problem is that the issue is becoming another warm fuzzy indignation, like "bullying"
    I'm not saying that bullying isn't a serious problem, only that it has been taken, by some, to an absurd degree. Not unlike the objectification of women, which is also a serious problem (ask anyone with a teenage daughter!) But which I can see being taken to an equally absurd degree.
    Discriminating between those who have been terribly hurt (along with our terribly hurt society,) and those on a domineering power trip, seems to be a distraction of sorts, taking the public's attention away from underlying organic problems.

I ought to shut up now. I don't play well with others.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I agree with you, John. Some people are abusive by nature. Others are taught to be so. My son learned by example and I tried to steer him in the appropriate moral direction. I told him it's perfectly normal and natural to have attraction to ladies and when the time is right it's okay to share close physical experiences with them. In addition to the obvious proper ground rules, I added that it's generally not okay for either to 'use' one another strictly for physical pleasure and it's important to like and respect his partner for 'who' they are, not 'what' they are, and to consider if a long-lasting relationship is possible with that person. I realize many will call this old fashioned but I really don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    My OP was not asking whether the photographs in the "nude" thread were immoral or obscene; it was meant to ask, to use John Kasaian's better and succinct wording, "how do nude photographs effect women and how men treat women?" There is a lot of sociology literature that says that the sheer number of nude women on the web does impact the way men treat women, although one can agree or disagree. And the two photographs I referred to, while not significantly different from many others, were full frontal nudes of an attractive young woman, exactly the kind of images most of us men do enjoy looking at, while many other posts that I did not reference are nude studies of portions of bodies, or make greater use of light and shadow. Now from the viewpoint of photographic history, lots of full frontal nudity is famous artwork, be it Mortensen's or Paul Outerbridge's somewhat fetishistic nudes, or many of Weston's photographs of the same women he slept with, to name the first that come to mind. But society changes, and I would suggest that our society is becoming more aware of the impact that the very ordinariness of thousands of photographs of young attractive nude women have on the way that women in general are viewed and treated.
    That's a much better expression of a question than we started with. Btw., there's a whole branch of moral philosophy the main claim of which is that what's moral or immoral depends on consequences. Thus, ..."the impact that the very ordinariness of thousands of photographs of young attractive nude women have on the way that women in general are viewed and treated"...would be considered, at least in part, a question of morality. The treatment of women is one of the two major ethical problems of our time, imo, along with our treatment of the earth.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

There seems to be an endless number of women who 'agree' to objectification. I wonder why they do it. Why are there so many. Why don't they leave the room?

Have any women contributed an opinion to this discussion?? Not as far as I can tell. I suspect there are few (if any) women participating in this forum. I guarantee this topic would cover very different territory if in fact there were women adding their voices to it.
    In some ways this discussion reads like a group of male politicians getting together to decide what rights women have to make decisions over their own reproductive abilities.

Kodak Film division has the answer to my questions. I just got the below link in an email from Official Kodak.

Watch the movie.

http://emailslink.kodak.com/YesConne...OUHFhO95k=.enc

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    There seems to be an endless number of women who 'agree' to objectification. I wonder why they do it. Why are there so many. Why don't they leave the room?
    Maybe they like the money or if no money is involved then the attention at the time. Of course sometimes women are lied to.

Many years ago I dated a young girl who had at one time posed nude for an amateur photographer boyfriend who also happened to be her boss at the local Dairy Queen. When she went to work she found that he had posted for all to see, her nude photo's on the bulletin board in the employee lounge. What a snake!

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Have any women contributed an opinion to this discussion?? Not as far as I can tell. I suspect there are few (if any) women participating in this forum. I guarantee this topic would cover very different territory if in fact there were women adding their voices to it.
    In some ways this discussion reads like a group of male politicians getting together to decide what rights women have to make decisions over their own reproductive abilities.
    I think there are very few women on this Forum Paul.

Yep, PETA might object to the second one objectifying Pink Flamingos.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.