Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Safelight 908 for development by inspection - did I get a bad one?

Re: Ilford Safelight 908 for development by inspection - did I get a bad one?

Possibly the 917 IR transmitting one? You could try contacting Ilford, they might know what it is.

Ilford certainly don't list a safelight with the designation 7475. See here: https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/f...roduct_id/613/

If your eyes are otherwise good, then I would surmise you have something else besides the #908. I second the suggestion to contact Ilford, maybe they can clear things up quickly.

Doremus

Light adaptation of the eyes can easily take up to half an hour, and might not be worth very much depending on your eyes and your age. Also note the point made by another poster about not looking directly at the 'target' -- the sides of the area of vision work better in the dark than the centre, due to the distribution of the light-sensitive cells.

Apart from the questionable filter, what is the Wattage and type of bulb in the safelight? It 'should' be a 15W incandescent bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Light adaptation of the eyes can easily take up to half an hour, and might not be worth very much depending on your eyes and your age. Also note the point made by another poster about not looking directly at the 'target' -- the sides of the area of vision work better in the dark than the centre, due to the distribution of the light-sensitive cells.

Apart from the questionable filter, what is the Wattage and type of bulb in the safelight? It 'should' be a 15W incandescent bulb.
    hello, yes the wattage is correct, 15w old type incandenscent tungsten filament.
    I will contact RK photographic in the uk who have a few in store (none marked 7475) and have been around for a while, and i will also check with Ilford.
    Hopefilly they will respond. i am really intrigued by this now, if not a little peeved that i bought (on ebay...) something that is almost certainly not what it is supposed to be.
    will report back when I know more, might be useful as reference ifo for other forum members in the future.
    till later then
    alex

I know you replied to this a long time ago. But can you tell me what scanner you use to scan your LF negs? I am thinking of getting one and am really confusing over choice.
    Thank you.

BTW
    I contacted Ilford. They have no idea what that is. It's one of theirs, but probably a special order and they cannot find the original order.
    I knew I had not gone blind!

As far as I could ascertain (15 years ago), the 908 Safelight filter was no longer extant. The 15 watt light source is too weak and fails to penetrate the filter, compared to Greg's standardised Amato safelamp at 15 watt which is more efficient for its filtration. In the United Kingdom, the Paterson 10 or 15 watt standard plastic dome is Greg's equivalent and is workable at a 1 metre distance.

I have the same 907 safelight filter system as you, although rewired it for a standard 60 watt edison bulb - which works. You can see things with no other light source. It's still not safe, since the filter is scratched. You can use the 902 orthochromatic filter if your light housing has a double sided aluminium closure, and a switch to alternate between source for either ortho 902 or for your 908.

Perhaps it's worth trying to rewire your lamp source.

Kind regards,
    RJ

In the days of large operations providing individual hand development, young men, around 20 years of age were hired. They took their lunch with them and sat in a totally dark room for a minimum of 15 minutes prior to proceeding into the green lit darkroom. They came out of the dark only at the end of their day at which time the light in the prep room was gradually increased. The secret to seeing with a dark green safelight is following such a procedure of getting adjusted to the dark. When I am developing panchromatic film by inspection I sit in total darkness for at least 15minutes.

Thank you RJ, well worth trying. I have some undeveloped test negs that are now superflous to the original tests, so i can rewire and then try to develop those by inspection. If they get fogged, no biggie.
    thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ- View Post
    As far as I could ascertain (15 years ago), the 908 Safelight filter was no longer extant. The 15 watt light source is too weak and fails to penetrate the filter, compared to Greg's standardised Amato safelamp at 15 watt which is more efficient for its filtration. In the United Kingdom, the Paterson 10 or 15 watt standard plastic dome is Greg's equivalent and is workable at a 1 metre distance.

I have the same 907 safelight filter system as you, although rewired it for a standard 60 watt edison bulb - which works. You can see things with no other light source. It's still not safe, since the filter is scratched. You can use the 902 orthochromatic filter if your light housing has a double sided aluminium closure, and a switch to alternate between source for either ortho 902 or for your 908.

Perhaps it's worth trying to rewire your lamp source.

Kind regards,
    RJ

Are you located in USA or EU? The Kodak #3 is the green equivalent. Maybe easier to found this one. And maybe the larger 10x12''.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com