Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting started in 11x14"

Re: Getting started in 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    An 11x14" enlarger would be an interesting object in itself !! The lab I worked at had a 10x10" Durst (we used it for aerial roll-film) in it's own special room. Neither the machine nor the room were small...

ETA. Or was it 10x12"?? This was about three decades ago.
    Oh I got one a Devere 515 in mint condition, I have just never printed an 11 x14 neg off it .

I just don't see the advantage of enlarging 11x14 over 8x10 and since Bob is about one of maybe 3 people with an 11x14 enlarger, it's sort of a mute point. Plus as he noted above, he's never printed an 11x14 neg! 8x10 enlargers are "reasonably" plentiful and you can work in 8x10 without resorting to heroics. L

With my 5X7/8X10 horizontal enlarger project nearing completion...I've actually thought about going up a size (to accommodate 11X14 negatives) - but when I start considering all that is required to truly make this worthwhile (results-wise)...I think again! In the meantime, I'm having fun burning through my recently re-discovered stock of 11X14 Tri-X...exp. date Jun/1988! (gotta love that base-fog!)

I've got lots of 4x5 Tri-X of the same vintage. How are you handling the 0.36 fog?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I just don't see the advantage of enlarging 11x14 over 8x10 and since Bob is about one of maybe 3 people with an 11x14 enlarger, it's sort of a mute point. Plus as he noted above, he's never printed an 11x14 neg! 8x10 enlargers are "reasonably" plentiful and you can work in 8x10 without resorting to heroics. L

I know one day I will borrow or rent a 11 x14 camera and make a series of images.. my thought is to maximize the negative with detailed information and use PMK development . I think a series of 28 x 22 inch silver prints would be impressive at a 2 x magnification.

the hard part for me is to think about a series that I can buy into and is relevent... on a side note I would process one set of negs to do contact Palladium gum prints as well.

Now I just have to think of a subject.

I'm seriously considering venturing into 11X14 wet plate work. I seem to be competent with 8X10 so the idea of 11X14 plates is very enticing. The idea of freeing myself from dependence on film manufacturers is also very appealing.

A collodion-on-glass test from earlier this week.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I'm seriously considering venturing into 11X14 wet plate work. I seem to be competent with 8X10 so the idea of 11X14 plates is very enticing. The idea of freeing myself from dependence on film manufacturers is also very appealing.

I think you could do really well with glass plate negatives Paul, Denise Ross is on the west coast who is a complete expert on emulsions, you should talk with her.

That's lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I think you could do really well with glass plate negatives Paul, Denise Ross is on the west coast who is a complete expert on emulsions, you should talk with her.
    I second Bob's suggestion; I've been working with gelatin dry plates for a couple years now, and recently took a run at 11x14. As mentioned, it's quite freeing to be able to make any size and configuration plate you want, provided you have a way of procuring holders. I've managed to find 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 10x12, 11x14 and whole plate (in varying condition; some repair required), but I've been thinking about making my own for odd sizes and shapes; at that point I'm just limited by my ability to cut glass...

Robert

Paul, one of the cleanest plates I've yet seen; well done!