Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Getting started in 11x14"

Re: Getting started in 11x14"

Big Easy by Surley. Made in Minnasota, I believe. Edit - company in Minnasota, bikes made in Taiwan

Took a 45 mile ride today...no camera, just a round-about way to get to a meeting in another town -- normally 8 miles of flat riding, today started with a 1600 foot climb) and a couple more not so high ones later on. Very pretty. Got home with ten miles or so of power. A distance test with major climbing...my legs are toast!

Bike did great -- up to 36mph coming downhill, but on a lane and a half of poorly paved winding road, sunlight dappled, 20 or 25mph felt saver! handles great.

From a previous single-track test of the bike (w/ 5x7) -- did great...an SOB to get up 4 feet over a fallen tree, though (and a photo from that trip...pt/pd print):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BikeLoad2.jpg   BikeLoad1.jpg   Creek,OssogonRocks.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 29-Nov-2020 at 22:44.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Big Easy by Surley. Made in Minnasota, I believe.

Took a 45 mile ride today...no camera, just a round-about way to get to a meeting in another town -- normally 8 miles of flat riding, today started with a 1600 foot climb) and a couple more not so high ones later on. Very pretty. Got home with ten miles or so of power. A distance test with major climbing...my legs are toast!

Bike did great -- up to 36mph coming downhill, but on a lane and a half of poorly paved winding road, sunlight dappled, 20 or 25mph felt saver! handles great.

From a previous single-track test of the bike (w/ 5x7) -- did great...an SOB to get up 4 feet over a fallen tree, though (and a photo from that trip...pt/pd print):

nice set up. am I seeing another battery behind the crankshaft ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

yeah - two batteries. I can make three trips into town without worrying about recharging (15 to 25 miles trip). Winter is coming, I have fenders to put on and got some winter gloves -- wore them this morning to start off...mid 30's when I woke up, mid 40's by the time I hit the road.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    yeah - two batteries. I can make three trips into town without worrying about recharging (15 to 25 miles trip). Winter is coming, I have fenders to put on and got some winter gloves -- wore them this morning to start off...mid 30's when I woke up, mid 40's by the time I hit the road.
    nice. that's kinda long ride for groceries u going to run studded as well ? stay safe and be well
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Some places south of the 49th don't get much ice in the winter (and the mileage is for round trips) . There is a small grocery store just two miles away...but banks and all that are further. I'll ride into Arcata today 8 miles) to work at the gallery. Down to 34F this morning, 40F now and might warm up 3 to 5 degrees before I need to leave,

I have studded bike tires, never mounted. I see prices have gone way up

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/sear...saAvy1EALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    nice. that's kinda long ride for groceries u going to run studded as well ? stay safe and be well
    Tin Can

When I was getting into 8x10 large format several years ago, I did a one on one workshop with Tim Layton to learn the ropes. Wow does that guy know his stuff! On the last day he took out his 11x14 and I got to see first hand the process and then we went back to his darkroom where we developed the film and then made a platinum print and also a silvery chloride print. After looking at his amazing work, I knew that I could have to pursue 11x14 or another larger format. Long story short, about a year into 8x10, I got an 11x14 and I have never looked back since that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advise, I've been in contact with Badger Graphic re the price of the Shen-Hao 11x14 and it seems it's much more costly than the Chamonix, so that puts that to rest...

I live in New Zealand, and no one to my knowledge has this gear close to where I live. I've used an 8x10" Deardorff before and it was fine if pretty wobbly. It was heavy and think the 11x14" Chamonix is about the same weight, in fact... Anyway, I know what I'm getting in to and people here have confirmed that I really need to budget for up to $5k USD for a one lens system with a good, matched cut film holder. I've been looking for a while and not seen anything on the used market – at least on eBay, I have no idea where else to look from NZ – so if I wait, something might come along. Eventually...

And yes, I've seen some of the Tim Layton videos on the Chamonix. He seems very impressed with it, and going by the videos I'm impressed at how rigid it seems. There are videos of other brands out there in 8x10" etc where the cameras seem really wobbly, but not the Chamonix.

As for being 'un-logical and foolish', that description certainly matches me. Perfectly good, actually great gear already and I'm looking at big, old fashioned cameras...