Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sticky Fabric om Harrison Tents

Re: Sticky Fabric om Harrison Tents

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    Thanks Dan, I plan to store my new one as you say. I wish my old one (bought used) had come with those instructions, but I’m guessing it wasn’t known at the time it was made. When you get the bag done please let us know.
    Will post it here, but I do want to observe the "no business posting" sorta thing, as I know the mods can be quite picky about such postings.

-Dan

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

How long do you expect a tent like that to last? 50 years?, 25 years?, 15 years? I do not have high expectations with my tent, especially for something I am using every day. My instinct told me to keep the tent open and aired after each use. Then fold it and put it in the bag it came (if you are using it daily). For long time storage, I would not roll it, I will just keep it hanging in a dry place.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    How long do you expect a tent like that to last? 50 years?, 25 years?, 15 years? I do not have high expectations with my tent, especially for something I am using every day. My instinct told me to keep the tent open and aired after each use. Then fold it and put it in the bag it came (if you are using it daily). For long time storage, I would not roll it, I will just keep it hanging in a dry place.
    Same theory goes with tents. Sadly, we usually see how quickly people go through tents and other goods made with PU coated materials.

I have a tent that is easily 10-15 years old(I am the second owner), and I keep mine open and on the table in my shop space, pretty much all the time. I have the space, but if I didn't I would keep it stored as I described in my prior reply.

-Dan

One thing I do prior to storage is put a thin cotton sheet over the tent. I then loosely roll it up and put it in a box. This adds a layer of separation so none of the tent is folded up against itself. More space for air to get in/out and breath.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    One thing I do prior to storage is put a thin cotton sheet over the tent. I then loosely roll it up and put it in a box. This adds a layer of separation so none of the tent is folded up against itself. More space for air to get in/out and breath.
    Great idea, thanks.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

the sticky coating is a polymer break down common to some water proof materials. ive had several backpacking tents that had the same problem. with camping tents, the manufacturers usually replace them under warantee as defective material. ive had this happen to a couple tents that were 5 or more years old regardless of how they were cared for. its the uv that causes the break down.

have you tried contacting the manufacture?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    the sticky coating is a polymer break down common to some water proof materials. ive had several backpacking tents that had the same problem. with camping tents, the manufacturers usually replace them under warantee as defective material. ive had this happen to a couple tents that were 5 or more years old regardless of how they were cared for. its the uv that causes the break down.

have you tried contacting the manufacture?

Yes, they suggested I buy a new one. I can see them not replacing it given the age. I think the manufacturer is a very small operation, maybe one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    Yes, they suggested I buy a new one. I can see them not replacing it given the age. I think the manufacturer is a very small operation, maybe one person.
    When I first started up with building gear in August 2016, I purchased some material from a small cut & sew contractor up in the San Fernando Valley. They were the contractor that sewed many of the items for C.E. I only found out about this when I noticed a couple rolls of the silver material they use on the shelves, and the (new) owner of the shop told me whose material that was(and wasn't for sale). So they might be a small(er) operation now, but they were definitely having things sewn by outside shops.

I have no idea how large of a company C.E. is nowadays, but they do have a pretty good list of distributors worldwide.

-Dan

The suggestion about storing Harrison tents in a box got me thinking about what kind of box would be appropriate.
    It would need to be big enough to allow me to store my film changing tent flat and keep it as dust-free as possible. But at the same time, not be so large that it would take up too much space.
    The answer: a pizza box!
    Later today, I will head over to my local pizza shop to get one of their larger boxes and give the owner a couple dollars for his trouble.
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 20-May-2019 at 04:13. Reason: edits

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    There really is no reason for pu coatings on these tents (I have couple). Pulled one out and the black sleeves and area around it have that tell tale funky smell.

Sooo, having asked about similar issues with tent flies and floors, a Sierra Designs (they make expedition tents etc) tech suggested using, I believe, isopropyl alcohol and scrubbing away the sticky coating. Then use a product (name escapes me) to recoat.

For changing tents I would try to remove the pu coating but not bother recoating as it serves no purpose, afaik, for making the tent lightproof.

I wish you could still get Shadow Box tents as they're cotton/canvas (have had no issues with dust fwiw). Perhaps if enough people asked, Harrison could make an uncoated tent and dark cloth.
    The inside pockets of the shadow box uses a material which may be the same as the Harrison tents. My shadow box pockets are sticky just like my Harrison tent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk