Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sticky Fabric om Harrison Tents

Re: Sticky Fabric om Harrison Tents

Talcum powder and wipe it off with a microfiber towel.

Drew Wiley

DEET bug repellant is just about the worst thing imaginable to polyurethane coatings. But they eventually break down and get sticky anyway. I always use a thin black waste basket liner inside the tent, as a supplementary barrier to dust and contaminants.

I just pulled my Harrison Tent out of storage where it's been waiting for me to take another trip with the large format. It was nicely rolled up in its bag sitting on the shelf for several years . To my dismay the black fabric is now sticky and leaves a tar like residue on everything it touches. I sent a note to Camera Essentials, but they are out of the office for the next week.

Does anyone know if they can/will fix the tent, or maybe replace it at cost? If not, I wonder what's the best replacement. I did find my older PhotoFlex tent and it still seems intact and light tight. It's a bit cramped for the grafmatic and 5x7 holders, but will work on the upcoming trip.

I had a Harrison tent a number of years ago that melted into a gooey mess. I called the company and was told I was welcome to buy a new one. They acted as if they couldn't care less. That was the last Harrison product I will ever purchase.

This is a well known issue with their products. I turned to their eBay Chinese equivalents a while back and haven’t experienced any symptoms yet. I’m actually quite happy with it.
    My wallet is also happier, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Bedell View Post
    I had a Harrison tent a number of years ago that melted into a gooey mess. I called the company and was told I was welcome to buy a new one. They acted as if they couldn't care less. That was the last Harrison product I will ever purchase.
    That's what I heard from the company as well. I did opt to buy another from the view camera store. I wanted the tent soon and I really liked my old one while it wasn't sticky. I'm hoping if I store it as recommended it will last the decades others have seen. I'm not entirely happy with the situation, but given my tent was secondhand I can't rule out mistreatment (like DEET) by the previous owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    That's what I heard from the company as well. I did opt to buy another from the view camera store. I wanted the tent soon and I really liked my old one while it wasn't sticky. I'm hoping if I store it as recommended it will last the decades others have seen. I'm not entirely happy with the situation, but given my tent was secondhand I can't rule out mistreatment (like DEET) by the previous owner.
    Mines ten years old, stored loosely in a large mesh bag except when traveling, so far so good. Also mine has never been exposed to DEET, sunscreen, or any kind of lotion, and since I don't wear short sleeve shirts not even my sweat.

Roger

Roger

I have a Calumet which I think is just a Photoflex, or similar. No sticky anything after 15 years, but the silver on the outside flakes off. And of course the elastic ain't what it used to be, but neither am I.

Guys,

Just an FYI on camera essentials items: DEET(or any mild solvent, airborne or liquid) will break down the silver coating on their items.
    Even the care card that is included with new tents states that the "storage bag is only for use during travel, store loosely in an open box/bag otherwise".

This is a well-known issue with these tents, however, it is NOT hard to keep them in great shape by doing the following:

1. Air them out regularly. If possible, leave them zipped open, and hang them vertically in a closet that gets used regularly.
    2. DO NOT store them long-term(past a week or two max) in the "storage bag". This bag(made from 420D nylon) has a polyurethane backing applied to the back, and a DWR coating on the face, so it DOES NOT BREATHE.
    3. DO NOT leave the tent rolled up tightly. The fabrics used in the construction of these tents out-gas over time, and those trapped gases can lead to premature breaking down of the fabric. Not to mention creasing the silver coating, which will promote even more rapid breaking down of the fabric.

I am working on a design for a mesh storage bag to help mitigate this issue(so it would be an accessory item), but if you want to go on-the-cheap, get yourself a mesh laundry bag at Wal-Mart and store the tent LOOSELY in that. Leave the poles in the C.E. storage bag, inside the mesh bag, as to not lose/damage them.

These tents NEED airflow, and dry conditions for storage. If your tent should get wet, let it dry COMPLETELY(as much as possible) before storing away, especially if while traveling and using the included storage bag.

From someone who actually cares, and wants to see your investment go as far as possible(not to mention a guy that sews), please re-read ^^^

cheers,
    Dan

Thanks Dan, I plan to store my new one as you say. I wish my old one (bought used) had come with those instructions, but I’m guessing it wasn’t known at the time it was made. When you get the bag done please let us know.